Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Help me fine tune the Zilla please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me fine tune the Zilla please!!!

Ok, I got her all together and running. First I had a 400 main and a 25 pilot, she ran ok but was a little on the way too rich side. So today I put a 350 main and left the 25 pilot and she is running alot better. I have the air screw set at 1 1/2 turns and its on the 4th clip on the needle. Dont get me wrong she is running alot better then yesterday but it just still seems like it wont really rev out. Also sometimes if I rev her up a little she kind of stays revving. This is an 88+ top end, stock carb, boysen power reeds, complete fmf exhaust and right now there is no lid on the airbox and no airfilter. If anybody has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Zilla pheen the 350 was stock but you can probably go a little higher. Just remember every bike will be a bit different. I know its a pain but an hour of playing should get you there. Dont go to lean. Did you try the 360 or 380 did you try the third clip that is per manual info. I always like a little burbling at the top end. LIke i said before start rich and work your way down. especialy on a new top end. Did you do a leak down test after you rebuild.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

No I didnt do a leak down test. I know i should of but I didnt. Actually with the 350 in it right now it is still loading up slightly but thats not a problem cause it clears out quikly by getting on it a little bit. But like i said it just seems like it should be revving just a little bit more to me.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

You may want to do a leak down test. Or still try a few more jets. You should be fine with the 25 pilot jet. Check your plug to tell you where your at. Wish i could help you more.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ZillaPheen
I rev her up a little she kind of stays revving.
Sounds Lean to me! Either air leak or jetting issues.
A false high idle = lean

If it's been apart, do a leak down test... Especially if it seems rich, but has these idle tendancies..

Old 09-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

Would it matter that this carb is an 87 carb though, its an 88+ top end but i did check out ronnies micro...whatever and the two carbs are different.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

The only dfference was the pilot and main jetting. I have a 87 carb on my buddies 88 and its fine running a 380 main. Did you have a 87 cylinder on before? Cause the 87 cylinder produces more hp than the 88.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

There are major circuitry differences b/w the two carbs.

Not saying that the '87 one won't work, just the 88+ is a much better carb for stability and tuning (Other than it's too small for these motors)

Old 09-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, i'm gonna try and get my hands on 88+ carb. I just have a feeling this carb that I have just aint working right. I cleaned it out very good and I still cant get it to run at its peak like it should. Also my friend told me that if there was dirt in the valve needle that this could be wHy the idle keeps surging, is this true??? Also I didnt do a leak down test but yesterday I had it idleing and I spraid the whole top end, carb boots ect...with WD40 and it didnt change the rpm at all.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

Ok rooster I took your advice on not leaving the 350 main in there. I was affraid it might be running to lean. Well i put the 400 back in and it is running alot healthier and has alot more power now. I still think it is capable of running a littler crisper but it is getting there. Only problem I have now is my idle keeps surging. Its not steady, but it wasent doing that with the 350 main so I really dont think I have a vacuum leak, i think its in the carb. Lemme know what u think. I am also gonna get a hold of a 88+ carb for it and see if that makes the difference.

Quick Reply: Help me fine tune the Zilla please!!!