Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Wheel Spacers for my Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers for my Z

I'm going to get some (only... for now) rear wheel spacers but I dont know what brand to get. Durablue wheelspacers are about $90, widen out the quad a total of 5" (2.5"/ spacer) and are made of graphite titanium. The second option is UM Performance wheel spacers. Widen it out a total of 5", made of urethane elastomer with titanium and graphite (same thing?), but they are only $60. The third choice is G Force aluminum wheel spacers. They are 45mm thick ( how many inches is that?) and cost about $70. I had Durablues on my blaster and never had a problem so I trust them. But how would they be on my Z. Should I go for the cheap UM Performance ones, stick with Durablue, or try aluminum spacers from G Force? I know axles are stronger but I dont have the money. Thanks in advance...

-StrongTyer

Old 10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guy, I have 2" wheel spacers on my z400 (g force), for the front I flipped the rims around and got that out 2" a side also.(just add two washers on each stud so the air valve stem clears the brake caliper) I weigh 210 lbs and race mx with it.....no problems, just keep an eye on your a arms. I do have triple rate works with resevoirs also. It saves alot of money and if the a arms ever go bad then I will get +2 then. Try it and you won,t go back! no problems with the rear axle like some say!

Old 10-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trenters
Hey guy, I have 2" wheel spacers on my z400 (g force), for the front I flipped the rims around and got that out 2" a side also.(just add two washers on each stud so the air valve stem clears the brake caliper) I weigh 210 lbs and race mx with it.....no problems, just keep an eye on your a arms. I do have triple rate works with resevoirs also. It saves alot of money and if the a arms ever go bad then I will get +2 then. Try it and you won,t go back! no problems with the rear axle like some say!
Cool. Thats how im hoping things will go. Those works shocks are awesome arent they? Im gonna try and flip my rims sometime too.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

if your going to get spacers stay away from durablue not that great
In my opinion I would go for a-arms and axles. save up for them well worth it
and less problems. spacers put to much stress on ball joints and
can make it harder to steer. and the added leverage it puts on the shocks
and if you like to jump or ride hard you can break something. IMO

Old 10-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mucky
if your going to get spacers stay away from durablue not that great
In my opinion I would go for a-arms and axles. save up for them well worth it
and less problems. spacers put to much stress on ball joints and
can make it harder to steer. and the added leverage it puts on the shocks
and if you like to jump or ride hard you can break something. IMO
In my first post i stated that i was only getting rear wheel spacers. I know what front wheel spacers do. Rear ones arent all that bad. I havent had any problems with my wheel spacers on my blaster. They do make it harder to steer and add leverage to compress the shocks. i know that... but it doesnt do anything if you put them on the rear. Its just that $300 seems ridiculous for an axle when wheel spacers immitat the exact same effect. The only advantage i see with an axle is strength. Plus im getting 2.5" spacers so thats a total of 5 inches wider compared to the 4" a +2 axle would give me for a fraction of the price. if they break, they break, but for now illl take the risk for a lot of added security in the corners.

I do have a question tho. How do wheel spacers affect ball joints up front? My blaster does seem really stiff compared to my Z. Could this be because of the wheel spacers?

Old 10-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

spacers on the front add stress by putting added leverage from the tire being out past where it should be
thats why if you notice the inside edge of the wheel sits over the ball joint ( without spacers) instead of away from it
and I would still be careful about spacers. they're not bad for all around riding but if you plan on racing
or jumping be careful, if 1 should break while you're racing of ect. theres more than the quad thats
going to get hurt. nothing worse than crashing because something broke. i've seen to many
people get hurt because of parts thats wasnt right for the bike
and I had spacers once and it was the worse thing I ever did to the quad.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mucky
spacers on the front add stress by putting added leverage from the tire being out past where it should be
thats why if you notice the inside edge of the wheel sits over the ball joint ( without spacers) instead of away from it
and I would still be careful about spacers. they're not bad for all around riding but if you plan on racing
or jumping be careful, if 1 should break while you're racing of ect. theres more than the quad thats
going to get hurt. nothing worse than crashing because something broke. i've seen to many
people get hurt because of parts thats wasnt right for the bike
and I had spacers once and it was the worse thing I ever did to the quad.
Well I guess ill try them out then. i already ordered. They were only $70 compared to a $300 axle. If i dont like them on the Z then ill just
take them off. If i had the money for an axle i would probably go for it. I wont get front wheel spacers. I dont like them. I dont race and i dont take huge huge jumps right now but who knows what the furture holds... If i started racing i would probably get an axle and a arms anyways.

Thanks for the advise. Its what i was expecting from at least one person. By the way, your Z is very nice. I thought mine had a lot of mods. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I do have one more question tho. If i just have rear wheel spacers is it going to screw up my handling at all since the front isnt as wide? I dont know what that would do???

Old 10-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

it might because the wheels wont track in the same groove
I never tried only the rear spacers. but then again I could be wrong

Old 10-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 3" wider rear on my Z and what it does is understeer a bit on tight turns (pushes) but I think it is still better overall as it isnt so tippy anymore.
As you say - I cant afford a new axle either

Old 10-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Are aluminum wheel spacers stronger or are the graphite-titanium ones stronger?