Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230 carb issues/questions..Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230 carb issues/questions..Need some help...

Hello all:

I recently bought a 86 lt230G, and I've been having horrible time with it running. It was dying at idle, under load, on hills.....Well, anyway, I bought a manual, and a carb rebuild kit for it. I've dissasembled the entire carb, but I'm confused on the needle jet. My manual says that it should fall out after I remove the needle jet holder. Either I lost the needle jet before I ever saw it, or its still in there somewhere. My kit doesn't have a needle jet in it, so I don't know if the manual is wrong in saying that there is a needle jet "part", or if its integrated in the carb somehow, Or if the needle jet is stuck in there. If I can explain this right, there is "something" in the pressed brass tube, but I don't know if there's just a taper integrated in the tube or if it's actually the needle jet stuck. I've applied what I think it excessive force on this "lip" and I couldn't get any movement. I'm just stumpted and I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know if the pressed tubing is a straight, smooth tube or if there's some bevels in it. Help me please if anyone knows. Does anyone know what model of Mikuni carb this is exactly? I'm thinking of just replacing it if I can't do anything here.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Old 10-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing on a carb should hav eto be forced apart. The needle should slide up and down smoothly. Check the web for Carb 101 article to get familiar with what a carb is made of and hoe it works. This will help you get your head wrapped around the subject at hand. The needle is either attached to the slide or it fits down into the slide. with a spring holding it down.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The carb should be a Mikuni VM26SS

As far as the part you are talking about..........After you screw the cap off the top of the carb....Pull the slide out (the needle is attached to that)......look down in the carb at that point you should see all aluminum ecept for a small brass piece in the exact center...That is the "needle jet" you are talking about. To remove it, you need to remove the main jet and the main jet holder then take a soft brass punch (going down through the top of the carb) and very gently tap it out. It comes out pretty easy, but I have never had one just "fall out" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Let me know if you need anything else, i'll try to help.