Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

snow Tracks for atvs

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow Tracks for atvs

Quote: "I might try to fab some up out of angle iron, aluminum scrap road signs, and a couple tie downs this winter if I get ambitious."

Snowmobiles all used to have <U>metal</U> skiis. Now they have <U>plastic</U> skiis. "Why," you may ask? There are several reasons. One reason is that the friction caused by the metal skiis caused the metal to warm too much. With warm skiis, you stop for a break. Later, you start your sled and try to go, and you find your skiis have melted the snow, which has now re-frozen on the bottom of the skiis. Not good.

On your atv, you may not be going fast enough to have this situation occur.

How about finding an old truck bedliner and using pieces of it for skiis? Many car bodyshops throw damaged bedliners away.

Also, you check with the local snowmobile shops about 1 week <U>after</U> the first decent snowfall. Snowmobilers get too anxious to ride their sleds, and hit covered rocks and fallen trees. (Yes, I was one of them..) The skiis may be damaged, but good enough for your purposes.

Have fun!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

No I didn't try airing down. I thought of it the 2nd time we were out, but since I didn't have any source of air at the time, I worried we'd pop a tire off the bead and then be screwed since the first few miles of the ride wasn't snow, just big sharp rocks!

That's a great idea to use plastic bed liner. I'll have to remember that.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

mattracks.com

pretty cool site i found for ATV tracks. check it out!

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Cabelas has them. check their web site.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi there, I might be a little late with this, but here goes. I am a member here, but also a dealer for AD Boivin tracks systems. They stopped developing the skis and systems for sport models last year and will not be going back into production for them as far as I know. I believe one reason was people wanted to be able to use their atv's just as they did before, but you can not jump with the tracks and skis. You could but the landing would be hard on them and the machine since they were not built for jumping they were built to take you were you would not get otherwise. If you have deep snow you can't take a 2 or 4 wheel drive where you can go with these tracks. I have been in snow as deep as 14 feet and had no problems. They do work very well, but on 4x4 atv's not sport models, also you will want to have at least 400 CC to run the tracks as they do need power to turn. If you want to see some photo's and videos you can go to my site WWW.ATVTRACKKIT.COM

Merry Xmas to all

Old 12-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Nice videos.

Oh and its Merry CHRISTmas

Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CobraR6

Oh and its Merry CHRISTmas
TRUE DAT SON! i am tired of people forgeting baout Jesus. that what it is about not the gifts...

tards..

no offence pionereman!

Old 12-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would always use Christmas, but I deal so much internetionally, I try to respect everyone. I too believe we should be able to have the holiday for what it is and what it has been since the beggining. I hate being told you can't have a certain feeling or belief because someone else doesn't like it. You don't hurt anyone believeing what you want.

So you are right Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year

Old 12-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Those are some pretty amazing pics... I must say. Never seen anything but a SnoCat or a snowmachine go places where the snow was that deep and light.
But, still can't beat having even a mediocre snowmachine in the deep stuff. I mean, I used to drive a 1978 Arctic Cat Panther 5000, fan cooled, single carb, really narrow stance, virtually no front suspension, and I was unstoppable in the deepest snow Eureka, Alaska could offer. Now you can get a machine with as much travel as a super-cross motorcycle and with 170hp, that only weighs 550lbs. Can't beat that, in my opionion.
BUT, it would be fun to have so much money that I didn't know what to do with it. THEN, I'd have me a set of those tracks and a new King Quad!

Old 12-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PioneerMan
I would always use Christmas, but I deal so much internetionally, I try to respect everyone. I too believe we should be able to have the holiday for what it is and what it has been since the beggining. I hate being told you can't have a certain feeling or belief because someone else doesn't like it. You don't hurt anyone believeing what you want.

So you are right Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year

Hey sorry, didnt mean to jump down your throat. It just seems like everyone is using the X instead of Christ these days. Thanks for the clarrification anyways though.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!