Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Trouble with my Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with my Eiger

Definitely sounds like an adjustment problem to me, check to see that your idle circuit screw is 1.5-2 turns out, check to see that your boots are not slit or cracked in any way, check to see that your main jet is actually fully open, not just APPEARING unclogged. I had debris in mine, and because it's so small, it was almost impossible to tell. I took it out, looked, it was "good". Put it back in, had a weird feeling, pulled it back out again and looked. Looked good, but I decided to blow it out with some high pressure air and looked again. Now it was different. I could see the spider leg stuck inside. It seems there was a tiny speck of fuel inside the jet, surrounding the spider leg and causing some sort of reflective optical illusion that made it look like I was seeing daylight through the jet.
I got the spider leg out with a sliver of wood (so as not to scar the inside of the jet) and NOW I could tell that it was a nice, round, open, hole.
Problem solved.

PS, I don't have the screen in either of my carbs. I didn't know there was supposed to be one.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

I took the long tube out, the thing the main jet screws into (the name of it escapes me right now) the thing with the tiny holes on the sides and blew compressed air thru it and the jet. Did the same to the float bowl to get that crap out from underneth the baffle. The service manual cautioned using compressed air on the rest of the carb, so I just looked it over really good. Everything looked clean which was a dissappointment, in a way.

If it's something that's out of adjustment, I think it'd have to be a failure of some kind... especially since it was running perfectly when I unloaded it and is now running like crap. Like if a cable stretched it'd progressive start running worse and worse, but maybe it's that sensitive to adjustment.

The machine only has 146 miles on it, so if something is cracked then hopefully I can dodge any fee for its repair and it'll all be covered under the extended warranty.
Thanks again to all you guys and your ideas. Good news is I'm becoming alot more familure with my machines [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

I have had the same problems with both my Eigers. '03 Auto and an '04 Auto. Once with the '04 and 3 times with the '03. Every time i have pulled off the carb. Cleaned out the bowl pulled jets. With the jets back on I have blown through them to make sure they are not plugged in a passage somewhere. Taste like crap but when your on the trail it beats towing. In every instance this has fixed the problem.

When I pulled out my carb I don't unhook any cables. Just carefully roll it out to pull rope side of the bike. As far as what is causes the problem not sure. Past posts have stated both air and fuel. I put a little Fram 3515 (think thats the number) inline fuel filter to help rule fuel out. Then I put the K-N filter in. It has happened to me once since.

When I look back to the last time it happened. I just got done riding in real dusty conditions, got home, wash everything down and cleaned out my K-N filter. Then it clogged up again. Then I go back to pulling out the carb, blow out the jets, then it works again.

Not much of a carb guy, so not really sure whats going on.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

Check the vent tube to the carb. Mine acted like that once, found a small seed stuck in the tube, the tube comes up under the seat.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Same thing happened to me. I found out that i had gotten water in the gas tank some magical way. You need to disconnect your gas line from your carb and trash that gas. Then get some gas suppement(for a carb. I used STP brand) and mix that with the new gas. Then let it sit and run for about 20 min and if it still boggin you could have dirt in your carb. It worked for me and hopefully it will work 4 you.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Eigerboy, Where'd ya get the helmet icon?? Did you use that when shula was coaching????

There is supposed to be a small screen in the inlet, I have one.

The "Choke" is really an enrichener, so if she runs better that way, she must be starving for gas. I know on several occasions mine has acted up after a hard landing and a tap on the carb makes er run rite. Why??? The slide sticks. This was cured with the jet kit. If yer slide isn't working the needle wont pull out of the jet properly. If ya pull out the diaghram, BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!! if it rips its EXPENSIVE!!

So....... take er in and let the dealer diagnose. Then tell us what went wrong.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been a bengals fan when Kitna was our quaterback and we went 3-13 bout 4-5yrs back

Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 AM
Range Rover

Blew air thru the vent tube when I had the carb off, so that can't be it.

I dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I'll call tomorrow afternoon and see if any progress was made.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

See thats what i did the first time too. They charged me 62 to drian my gas and then they installed a new spark plug. But my quad is only 5 mo. old and i dont need a new plug so becareful on what they try to catch you on.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

Well @#$(@)#%I@. They just called, they said they replaced the spark plug and it runs fine now. I'll go pick it up Saturday morning. Thing is, the damn plug looked just like the one in my wife's machine except a little darker so I didn't even think to it'd be worth it to try swapping them to see if that fixed it. I mean since it idled ok and would run with the choke partially on. Ugg. Live and learn I guess. Time to stock up on spark plugs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

BTW, should I stick with the NGK that's in there or go with something else?

Quick Reply: Trouble with my Eiger