Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

replacing cam chain on suzuki lt 160 quadrunner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing cam chain on suzuki lt 160 quadrunner

Hey guys, im new to this forum, and im needing a little help. I have a 1991 suzuki quadrunner 160 and I belive my timing has jumpped, so i ordered a cam chain for it. I dont have a manual and i want to do this myself. So can someone give me any info they know on replacing it and give me an idea of where it is located and the steps on lining all the timing marks up and all that good stuff.

If neone has a repair manual on this certain quad could you help by giving me some info thanks.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider

You just posted the same thread a few minutes ago (here) and you didn't need to do it again. Just be patient and wait for an answer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The first thing I would do is order a manual, especially if you haven't done this sort of thing before. We need more information in order to help you out... How does the engine run, and what made you think you need a new timing chain? Have you taken anything apart to see if it's really the chain or something else?

Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

well the reason i think its the chain is because i was going through the woods and I hitt a tree goin bout 20mph or so, so im thinkin the chain stretched or jumped timing b/c it ran perfect before now it wont start at all and if u get it push crunk the exhaust valve taps. The only way my friend could get it to start was by loosening up the valves and u know there not susposed to be like that. so do u think im close to the problem?

Old 11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

also could someone get me valve specs thanx

Old 11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: allgood100
well the reason i think its the chain is because i was going through the woods and I hitt a tree goin bout 20mph or so, so im thinkin the chain stretched or jumped timing b/c it ran perfect before now it wont start at all and if u get it push crunk the exhaust valve taps. The only way my friend could get it to start was by loosening up the valves and u know there not susposed to be like that. so do u think im close to the problem?
I couldn't tell you, as I don't have that much experience with that area of the motor. I'd tear the whole top end off and look at everything, as it might be more than a timing chain that you'll end up replacing.

Originally posted by: allgood100
also could someone get me valve specs thanx
Your best bet is to go to a dealer, plunk down the $45-50 for a manual and get the torque specs and other info you'll need for doing the work on your own.