Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

California Red Sticker Issues on my new King Quad..... BAD NEWS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Red Sticker Issues on my new King Quad..... BAD NEWS

I just received the Red Sticker on the 2005 King Quad that I purchased. All my other
quads have green stickers and this was kinda disappointing to find out the following
from DMV.........

"Red Stickers will be issued to all 2003 model year and newer OHVs that are not
certified to California OHV emission standards. Owners will be issued a Red Sticker
if the vehicle is a 2003 model year or newer vehicle, and there is a “C” or “3” in the
eighth digit of the vehicle’s VIN."

My VIN has #3 in the 8th digit

For those in other states..... a Red Sticker in CA limits the areas that you can ride in

Is there anyway around this nonsense for this King Quad. ??

Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

CA doesnt like it either huh? J/K!!!!

Not much you can do about it. Once its labled as a red sticker it cant be changed. Sell it and buy something else. I guess. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Quad Patrol

Inquire why it doesn't meet the green sticker emissions. Can you talk your dealer into taking it back? maybe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] they told you it was a green sticker vehicle?

Old 11-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer should have warned you about this one!

Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 56Nomad
I just received the Red Sticker on the 2005 King Quad that I purchased. All my other
quads have green stickers and this was kinda disappointing to find out the following
from DMV.........

"Red Stickers will be issued to all 2003 model year and newer OHVs that are not
certified to California OHV emission standards. Owners will be issued a Red Sticker
if the vehicle is a 2003 model year or newer vehicle, and there is a “C” or “3” in the
eighth digit of the vehicle’s VIN."

My VIN has #3 in the 8th digit

For those in other states..... a Red Sticker in CA limits the areas that you can ride in

Is there anyway around this nonsense for this King Quad. ??
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy, 56! LOL... If what you are saying is indeed true, and I'm not saying that you're not speaking the truth, then you just sealed the deal on one less KQ owner!!! Of course, that one less owner is me. I've said it before, and I'll go ahead and say it again now............I sure am glad I have waited to buy a new big bore, and have done a ton of reading on them on this forum as well as others. I was seriously considering the new 2006 KQ until I heard about all of these problems the machines are having. Now, the CA sticker issue?! Screw that! I'm curious though.........are there machines out there that have differing digits in the correct spots within the VIN, which CA will grant green stickers to? I seriously doubt it. Why would they give green to some KQ's, and red to others when they are all newer than 2003?

One other thing...............my search for a new big bore has been narrowed down to potentially two machines for a long time now. Those machines are the KQ and the Grizz. And, I sure do love the fact that Yamaha goes to the extra effort to actually state directly on their website that their utility machines are indeed CA green sticker compliant! Way to go Yamaha!!! I was considering the new 2006 Rincon, and I will still ride one before I buy. But, several people have already told me that even with the new updates for 2006, that I still won't like it (mainly due to the tranny). I also found out a few minutes ago, via another thread on this website, that the new 2006 BF650i apparently has the same old Kawasaki 4x4 mechanism, where the machine has to move a certain distance before the thing will actually kick in. That more or less rules out the Kawasaki's for me.

Wow! Looks like it's gonna be Yamaha Grizz all the way, baby!!!

Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would be contacting Suzuki about this issue demanding my money back. As stated earlier, the dealer should have notified you about this.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

My and my neighbors 05 King Quads have Ca green stickers.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: KingQuader
My and my neighbors 05 King Quads have Ca green stickers.
KingQuader:

Can you confirm for us what your VIN digits correspond to, and whether or not they are consistent with what 56 mentioned in his original post? In other words, does your quad and your neighbor's quad have a "C" or "3" for the eighth digit/letter?

If so, then how did you and your neighbor get green stickers, but 56 could not? Or, if your digits/letters are different, then why is that the case? Or, has CA DMV recently changed some laws/rules as far as OHV equipment is concerned?

Ummmmmmmmmm............maybe the Grizz is no longer CA green sticker compliant, either?! Need to be checking and confirming with CA DMV on this subject, no doubt.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

I went down to DMV this morning at 8:00 am to seek remedy.

A very nice gal at the counter took all my paperwork,
including all the information I could gather supporting the
fact that an '05 King Quad should have a green sticker.

She said they would take it under consideration and asked
me to come back this afternoon. She took my red sticker.

This afternoon................

Well, I went back to the DMV and the gal that was helping me had gone home

I had to plead my case to another clerk and he finally he found my paper work
and all the stuff I had left off in the morning. He tried to rerun the registration
and it defaulted to another Red Sticker.

He was a pretty savvy guy and thought it was pretty stupid that a new quad
was red stickered. He went back into the bowels of the DMV building and
then came back with a green sticker for me :B:B He said he had to force it through.

YAHOO!

If you live in CA and buy a new quad...... better make sure the dealer is going to be
able to produce a green sticker.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Quad Patrol

That's great you got a green sticker[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] However, what is going to happen in 2 years when the computer shows you still have a 3 or a C for the 8th digit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Will it then, send you a red sticker???? Just curious[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: California Red Sticker Issues on my new King Quad..... BAD NEWS