Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Joe here there is a 5 dollar seal for that decompression arm bit you may have to remove the gas tank to get to it,

15-1 SEAL, OIL MODEL F/G
09284-10008 09282-10014 online suzukipartsmonster

Old 06-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for parts

New to this whole scene, I just got my first quad. I am wondering who he on here sells parts regularly? I have bought some on ebay and its a great place to find parts but was wanting more options.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jel08270
Hi Joe here there is a 5 dollar seal for that decompression arm bit you may have to remove the gas tank to get to it,

15-1 SEAL, OIL MODEL F/G
09284-10008 09282-10014 online suzukipartsmonster
Thanks for that info. For some reason, suzukipartsmonster wants $20 for shipping, so I found it elsewhere at Partzilla for $4.61. I was anticipating removing the tank and the motor. It was raining yesterday but not today so I'll go look it over to see how involved the engine removal would be. As far as I can tell it's just a couple motor mounts, the chain, throttle/clutch cables, and a fuel line I think. I want to do it this weekend and I will absolutely be recording this process to share with others since I can't seem to find any pictures or videos on the procedure (fix leaking valve cover or decomp arm). I've ordered up the manual also but I don't think it'll be here until next week. I hope I don't break a perfectly good running quad.

BTW, is there a trick to keeping the damn tie rod ends tight? Every damn ride they loosen up to where the cotter pins are the only things keeping them from coming off.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

If your tie rod ends r coming loose r u sure u r tightening them?.They might need to be replaced if they wobble like u r saying.
You can copy n paste the part number I sent you in Ebay n see if someone is selling with cheaper shipping,I do that a lot on ebay.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

They're all 1 week old and as tight as I can get them. I'm referring to the inner tie rods that connect to the steering shaft. The castle nuts aren't at the end of the threads like they should be, so the cotter pin isn't preventing them from loosening, only coming off completely. The end links themselves aren't wobbly, it's just after riding the nuts back out until they hit the cotter pin. Probably just going to add some washers in there (more than the one it already has).

Old 06-28-2018, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I see now you may need to add the washers.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Looking for parts???/

Originally Posted by cardsdad82
New to this whole scene, I just got my first quad. I am wondering who he on here sells parts regularly? I have bought some on ebay and its a great place to find parts but was wanting more options.
What kind of parts r u looking for ?I just might have it. I am cleaning out parts I have

Old 07-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jel08270
What kind of parts r u looking for ?I just might have it. I am cleaning out parts I have
Well I have a 1986 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport and am needing a seat, mud flaps and frontplastic that attaches to the body.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been testing out my "action camera" with some pretty horrible results. I'm still trying to work out the best mounting points and all my footage so far has been pretty crap. I mentioned in my last post that I was going to try and make a video of the valve cover re-sealing but that hasn't happened yet. My swing arm bearing job I did a few weeks back was apparently wrong and the swing arm was flopping all around and I had to stop riding it before I damaged something. Yesterday I recorded the new swing arm job but after reviewing the footage I got, I determined it was trash and not worth posting anywhere. The good news is that my genuine Suzuki spacer I ordered fixed the loose swing arm and it's all back together and rideable again. I've since taken some more vids but again they are pretty crap and not worth wasting your time viewing.

I'll get something together soon to share with the community.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys! Been a hot minute since I last came here, but I need a little bit of advise on some recent issues with the quad. After a recent weekend ride where the quad was running great all day, the last ride back to the trucks produced an uneven and high idle/throttle problem. Normally if you blip the throttle, it'll rev and return to idle pretty quickly but mine started to not do that. If I blip the throttle the revs will stay high like it's sticking. It'll eventually come back down to idle after a minute. I figured since I hadn't done a carb rebuild since I got it, now might be a good time to do so. I took the carb off so far but a couple things concern me. The first picture is of the throttle valve. It looks like it was burnt and I was just wondering what the hell is that and what caused or is causing it. Should I very lightly sand that piece to remove that black soot stuff or what is the best course of action to take just seeing this? I should note that I have removed the compression lever and cable since it wasn't hooked up when I got the quad. Haven't had any issue kick starting it.

Throttle Valve

The second issue that I've done a little google searching on is the oil in the air box. I replaced the air filter shortly after obtaining this quad and it's not dirty or oily or anything. Is this linked somehow to that throttle valve soot or is it something else? Google searches range from saying the problem is the rings, it's normal, ,or it jumped time, or I over-filled the oil (which may be possible, but not this much). The quad ran pretty good up until now. Maybe it was down on power but I don't have anything else to really compare it to. It's not super fast but it's also only a 230 with like 14hp so I'm not expecting it to keep up with my brothers 300ex. Now I'm going to admit something about myself that's totally noob and may explain this oil, but when I first got the quad, I thought you used regular motor oil. Yeah yeah I know now....

Yeah so the first couple hours of riding I was using regular motor oil. After the the top of the motor started leaking oil, I looked into it and found out I wasn't using the right oil, so I changed the oil and all that several times since then. The top of the motor still leaks a bit but I can ride for several hours a day without the oil level dropping too low so right now it's not a major concern. it's not the head leaking, it's the top part where you need to make your own seal with RTV, something I'm kind of scared to do because I'm likely going to mess up a perfectly good running quad. Anyhoot, the oil in the air filter box...concern or easy fix?

Air intake box. How'd that oil get there.
Lastly is a short clip of one of the highlights of the weekend ride. It's not really anything awesome or spectacular to watch, just intereresting.
. I have hours of footage but none of it's really interesting since you never really see the quad. Anyway, let me know what ya'll think of these pics and as always, advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Theorial; 10-06-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added small info bit

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.