Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where could i find a newish carb for my 86 lt230ge choke cylinder is broken inside the carb..

Old 11-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1987 Suzuki 230S new to me

Bike starts, but does not stay running. White smoke when running. Exhaust pipe and head slimy with oil. Guessing I'm looking at rings and valve seals. Saw in another forum that sometimes the connecting rod gets wasted and needs to be replaced or a ring job will fail in less than a season. Not sure how involved that job would be. Any thoughts before I start tearing into this?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Hensley
Where could i find a newish carb for my 86 lt230ge choke cylinder is broken inside the carb..
Try Ebay

Old 12-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Toby Hensley
I would try on Ebay

Old 12-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Timotheos
Bike starts, but does not stay running. White smoke when running. Exhaust pipe and head slimy with oil. Guessing I'm looking at rings and valve seals. Saw in another forum that sometimes the connecting rod gets wasted and needs to be replaced or a ring job will fail in less than a season. Not sure how involved that job would be. Any thoughts before I start tearing into this?

Thanks!
If its Smoking it needs rings n maybe piston,you might want to have the cylinder checked to see if it needs to be Bored out.I believe you may have to take engine out of the frame to do this,I had to remove engine to do this on my lt230s Quadsport n my lt230E quadrunner.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Timotheos

Thanks!
Try Ebay I had bought a used one there cheap.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 86 LT230 Build

Hello, I am new to this forum. I purchased a 86 LT230S and am trying to restore it. I had one as a teenager and i just had such great memories with it. I don’t expect to find too much new because of the age. I have been using ebay for most of my parts but hoping there is another place that can get hard to find or older components. Can anyone tell me where to purchase an engine? Referbed, new or basket case? Also, is there a good reliable cross match listing of parts for the LT230S? Shocks, swing arm, A-Arms, rims, engine

Old 12-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Orionkw try the Vault it has some useful information.

https://sites.google.com/site/suzuki...ult/specs-info.

some 89-90 Lt250s parts will work on your ATV.
Do a search on jel08270 and see some Mods I had post.
I live n NJ and have a ton of parts for these Quads let me know what your looking for I might have it.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you jel08270, I have seen a lot of good posts when I searched your handle. I have seen the Vault too. Great site and info, although I was disappointed that Vince’s Machine shop is no longer carrying all the cool parts. I guess I am looking for a good LT230s Motor right now. I want to do an entire referb. I am a retired disabled vet and am looking to pick back up my old hobby of ATV’s. I enjoy the working on bikes just as much as riding. If you have a site with items for sale, would you share it with me? Thank you

Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Leaking from valve cover or ???

Lets just say I read a LOT of pages of replies on here and although I did not read them all, I did try to use the search function within this thread to find the answers I was looking for. I've gotten myself an '86 quadsport and have replaced quite a number of things already. The last thing I need to do to really finish off the mechanical side of things is figure out why oil is leaking all over the top front of my motor, which tends to drench (yes drench) my right leg with oil during a ride. It looks like it is coming from the valve cover, but it also looks like it might be coming from the decompression thing on the valve cover, I can't really tell. I am really hesitant of motor work because I'm afraid I'll do it wrong and I won't be able to ride my quad unless I pay someone lots of $$$ to fix it. I will try it if the advice I get from here is any good.

I know about the website with the helpful tips like how NOT to seal your valve cover, but where is there any info on how to actually do it right, like a picture of sealant on the head itself before bolting the cover back on or something. I have not purchased the manual yet simply because I have not needed it for what I've done. I am likely going to pick it up soon but all I need right now is a picture of the correct application method for the valve cover. Along with this is the decompression lever thingy on the valve cover. I've gotten a top end kit I probably don't need and a set of valve seals. What else might I need to order before I attempt to pull the valve cover off? I don't mind ordering something I may not need to replace, I just don't want to take the motor out and the valve cover off only to find I don't have an o-ring or something.

I don't want this to be a wall of text, but I should also mention that for my first two weeks of riding it, I used conventional 10w40 full synthetic motor oil. I only recently found out I'm supposed to use a special blend of oil designed for ATV's and I've since changed my oil and filter using the correct type. My quad didn't leak when I got it and I'm pretty sure the normal oil caused it to start leaking. What else did I screw up by doing this? Keep in mind that the quad ran great! It shifted good (as can be with worn the hell out linkage) and didn't have any troubles with it using the regular oil. Each day I rode it, the leak got worse and worse, but it never got run dry or anything, there was always a good level of oil according to the window on the side of case. If anyone could provide some advice on this procedure, well that'd be just swell wouldn't it? So far I've got 2 valve seals and some anaerobic sealant for the valve cover job. Do I need to pull the motor to do that?

Bonus text!

I've already replaced and/or purchased: a-arm bushings (all of em), tie rod ends, ball joints, fuel petcock, front brake pads, front & rear sprocket w/chain, swing arm bushings (it's together but I don't think it's right), axle bearings, front bearings, new rear caliper, new used rear brake line, carb rebuild kit, a new used axle (because the nut on my right rear was stripped and I messed up two hubs because of it) and a new used steering column. I haven't put the rear brakes on because I don't have any copper washers to put the brake line on. I haven't used the carb rebuild kit yet either but it's on the list. It does not smoke at all and usually fires up on the first kick or two. I am currently on a break at work and can provide pics if needed when I get home.

Last edited by Theorial; 06-26-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.