Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

Those would be for a Honda TRX450ES/S 4X4 from the years listed for what they would fit which means they are 15.00". probably pretty stiff since they are made for a 4x4 and not a sport model.

The kits aren't that expensive they average around $180-200 if you buy outright or you can bid on any of the kits listed on ebay and after you win you can send an email telling them which kit you want. So it's like a generic auction and you pay what you feel is fair by bidding.

The alternative is having to try to find and make fit a-arms that hopefully widening your atv to make it worth it and also try to make shocks fit properly and then worry about spindles, tie rods, hubs which in my case also means new rims since we use a 4/166 pattern and I just got mine.</end quote></div>

How do you know how long all these shocks are?

No, $200 isn't that bad for a-arms. A lot less than what I was thinking. I couldn't make a set for that even if I valued my time at $5/hr, lol.

Yes, already having new rims kinda limits your choices. I kinda shot myself in the foot when I bought new rims for the back and then decided on new tires later. I should have gotten the 9x8 rims instead of 9x9.

I guess the next step should be to visit the showrooms with a tape measure and see what might work.

Ps, you might want to check the actually wheel travel with the ball joints you have. I've been cutting n welding all over the place on this thing and I don't see needing much more shock travel because the balljoints would bind. The downward angle of my arms in my pics is the most you can do w/o having the balljoints bind up. From that point, how far do you want to go up?

I could use a shock with 16 inches of travel, but it would have to be a really soft spring and I would have to mount it way out next to the wheel. Otherwise, either my joints will bind or else I would never use half of the travel.</end quote></div>

Via this page from Works Performance... http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/app_guide/atv.pdf

$200 isn't the price for the a-arms it's for the widening/shock conversion kit (+4.50" or +6.00" that utilizes all your stock components a-arms, tie rods, spindles etc. if you pay full price but it would be wiser to just bid on thier ebay generic auctions and pay a much lesser price. The problem is they responded to me saying they know they have a kit that would fit a 1987 LT250R and asked if that kit would fit my QS (which of course I don't know).

I bought the 9x8 rims since I bought off from ebay a pair of 1988 Blaster rear hubs with a 4/100 pattern. Big hub difference from back to front 4/100 and 4/166 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Unfortunately this is where my ignorance kicks in when it comes to the suspension and I can't answer your questions regarding the balljoints w/o actually trying what I am talking about with the kit so....at this point this is all theory to me.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Via this page from Works Performance... <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/app_guide/atv.pdf
">http://www.worksperformance.co...p_guide/atv.pdf
</a>

$200 isn't the price for the a-arms it's for the widening/shock conversion kit (+4.50" or +6.00" that utilizes all your stock components a-arms, tie rods, spindles etc. if you pay full price but it would be wiser to just bid on thier ebay generic auctions and pay a much lesser price. The problem is they responded to me saying they know they have a kit that would fit a 1987 LT250R and asked if that kit would fit my QS (which of course I don't know).

I bought the 9x8 rims since I bought off from ebay a pair of 1988 Blaster rear hubs with a 4/100 pattern. Big hub difference from back to front 4/100 and 4/166 [img][/img]

Unfortunately this is where my ignorance kicks in when it comes to the suspension and I can't answer your questions regarding the balljoints w/o actually trying what I am talking about with the kit so....at this point this is all theory to me.</end quote></div>

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

All I did was add a 3.25 inch tube to my arms.... Used all the stock components. The only difference is that my way made the arms longer and their way makes the frame wider (keeping the stock arm length).... effectively. I like my way better. I think I'd benefit more from the longer arms = "longer travel thru a larger arc of a circle" or "same travel with less angular movement". Which ever way you want to say it. Less angular movement also means less the front wheels will be going in and out (towards and away from each other). I think if I was willing to pay $200 for a kit that effectively made my frame wider in the front, I would opt to pay another $200 for the added benefits of longer arms instead (if there was such a deal,,,, I'm just saying).

The problem with the 250r is just finding someone who has one and asking them if they'd be good enough to gather some info for us. Then deciding if they can read a tape and measure relatively accurately. Who ever is the most congenial among us should start hitting people up on the board for info.

My bolt pattern in the back is 4/130 I think. 4/166 up front. 4/130 is not an easy pattern to find![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I was just bringing up the balljoints because I think you should go check it all out before deciding what to do. Take the shocks off and raise the tire up n down and see about how much travel it has. No sense in gettin a shock that has longer travel than the travel you can use. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] The only way to go longer is to get longer arms. I don't think frame widening is going to add much travel. This is why I like the r450 so much. It comes with 49inches stock and has really long arms and long shocks. Hmm... I wonder what KTM's new ride has? I hear it handles really well.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

http://forums.atvconnection.co...id/12/threadid/531636

The bait is in the water, hopefully they will bite![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You're the man!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Via this page from Works Performance... http://www.worksperfor....co......pdf

</a>

I bought the 9x8 rims since I bought off from ebay a pair of 1988 Blaster rear hubs with a 4/100 pattern. Big hub difference from back to front 4/100 and 4/166 [IMG][/IMG]

Unfortunately this is where my ignorance kicks in when it comes to the suspension and I can't answer your questions regarding the balljoints w/o actually trying what I am talking about with the kit so....at this point this is all theory to me.</end quote></div>

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

All I did was add a 3.25 inch tube to my arms.... Used all the stock components. The only difference is that my way made the arms longer and their way makes the frame wider (keeping the stock arm length).... effectively. I like my way better. I think I'd benefit more from the longer arms = "longer travel thru a larger arc of a circle" or "same travel with less angular movement". Which ever way you want to say it. Less angular movement also means less the front wheels will be going in and out (towards and away from each other). I think if I was willing to pay $200 for a kit that effectively made my frame wider in the front, I would opt to pay another $200 for the added benefits of longer arms instead (if there was such a deal,,,, I'm just saying).

The problem with the 250r is just finding someone who has one and asking them if they'd be good enough to gather some info for us. Then deciding if they can read a tape and measure relatively accurately. Who ever is the most congenial among us should start hitting people up on the board for info.

My bolt pattern in the back is 4/130 I think. 4/166 up front. 4/130 is not an easy pattern to find![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif" border="0[/IMG]

I was just bringing up the balljoints because I think you should go check it all out before deciding what to do. Take the shocks off and raise the tire up n down and see about how much travel it has. No sense in gettin a shock that has longer travel than the travel you can use. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif" border="0[/IMG] The only way to go longer is to get longer arms. I don't think frame widening is going to add much travel. This is why I like the r450 so much. It comes with 49inches stock and has really long arms and long shocks. Hmm... I wonder what KTM's new ride has? I hear it handles really well.</end quote></div>

Yeah I understand what your saying when it comes to the widening kit, I would effectively just be widening the frame and still using the same length a-arms so really I would not be creating a longer travel arc for the arms or shocks if you will, really it's making it look wider and I could use some really big shocks but the actual "real" benefit would not be there. I should just go for it with the 400ex a-arms since they are so cheap because they are so widely available and stock 400ex a-arms from everything I have read are 2" longer each side then stock 300ex a-arms, so using stock 400ex a-arms on a 300ex is like buying +2 a-arms for the 300ex. now I have no idea just how wide that will make me when said and done since the 400's frame I would assume is a different width then ours so the actual "real" measurement when all said and done with offset rims I can only hope would be atleast 47" but no more the 47 1/2" due to the it's got to fit in my trailer issue.

Isn't the Polaris outlaw and the KTM almost identical? I remember reading somewhere where they are using the same engines and a lot of the same suspension setups. I saw the 525 at the local dealer and it was impressive looking.

Trying to find someone to measure out a 250R and then trusting those measurements like you said is taking quite a leap of month when you start spending the green off from that info [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

The rear bolt pattern is tuff to find a good tire/rim selection for so that is the main reason why I bought off an ebay auction the hubs from an 1988 Blaster and used those with the 4/100 pattern not perfect as say 4/100 or 4/115 hubs would be for finding a large selection but I was able to get the size I wanted anyway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I would love to have the 450R front end and rear end and.....well I would just take the whole damn thing, If I remember right front shocks are 19.25" stock and like you said 49" wide stock.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Randy, what do you recommend as far as a welder goes? I used to embarrass my Grandpa with my welds using oxy-acetelene?? 2 big gas cylinders?? Swear my welds looked like sores on a leper![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Of course he was an expert welder.. Spent more time gring the welds..........
Tig, mig, wire feed, do they plug in 110v, or do I have to use the dryer plug?
Harbor freight? Sears? Bout all I can do is run a cutting torch, same thing as gas welder right? And a plasma cutter, friend had a friends, cut up a suburban one night, good times, many bud-wis-ers!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Randy, what do you recommend as far as a welder goes? I used to embarrass my Grandpa with my welds using oxy-acetelene?? 2 big gas cylinders?? Swear my welds looked like sores on a leper![img][/img] Of course he was an expert welder.. Spent more time gring the welds..........

Tig, mig, wire feed, do they plug in 110v, or do I have to use the dryer plug?

Harbor freight? Sears? Bout all I can do is run a cutting torch, same thing as gas welder right? And a plasma cutter, friend had a friends, cut up a suburban one night, good times, many bud-wis-ers!!!</end quote></div>

"And a plasma cutter, friend had a friends, cut up a suburban one night, good times, many bud-wis-ers!!!" That would be fun night! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I'm by no means an expert, but I don't have to wonder what to do when its time to weld either. I use a 100 amp wire feed mig (metal inert gas) welder. They are cheap and seem to run for yrs and yrs. They plug right into any 110 and you don't even need a 20 amp breaker to use it. Wire can be found at any good hardware store as well as tips and lenses. I use fluxcore so I don't have to worry about the gas containers n that. I can weld a train track together or 2 sections of wire as small as a coat hanger. Up to now I aways thought they cost about $300. I guess JCWhitney had em for $150. I dont know, but Clarke has been good to me for 10 yrs and you can only imagine the things I welded up in that time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I think Lincoln is overpriced, but I never used one either so....

I think MIG is the easiest way to go. You just have one thing in your hand to worry about and no big rod to worry about getting stuck or hitting something you don't intend to weld. With MIG you can just put the tip right on what you intend to weld and then pull the trigger. TIG (tungsten inert gas) is a lot like oxy because you have to feed the metal in with one hand while you hold the heat in the other (some times you dont have to - you can just melt the 2 pieces together). TIG can make some nice looking welds though. Looks good on rims. MIG looks more splotchy (especially fluxcore). Oxy can get expensive quick with high gas prices. Its basically soldering with steel. You heat the piece up till the metal "wets" together instead of balling up. I think oxy would take a lot of skill to be good and consistently good. A TIG is just too expensive unless you really have to have the best looking welds.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

A welder is going to be my xmas present, so MIG it is.... I was gonna buy a new LTR450, but going fishing in Alaska in June, so ALL extra pennies are going there......

Something in the 2-300 dollar range on a welder should get a hack like me going eh?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah I understand what your saying when it comes to the widening kit, I would effectively just be widening the frame and still using the same length a-arms so really I would not be creating a longer travel arc for the arms or shocks if you will, really it's making it look wider and I could use some really big shocks but the actual "real" benefit would not be there. I should just go for it with the 400ex a-arms since they are so cheap because they are so widely available and stock 400ex a-arms from everything I have read are 2" longer each side then stock 300ex a-arms, so using stock 400ex a-arms on a 300ex is like buying +2 a-arms for the 300ex. now I have no idea just how wide that will make me when said and done since the 400's frame I would assume is a different width then ours so the actual "real" measurement when all said and done with offset rims I can only hope would be atleast 47" but no more the 47 1/2" due to the it's got to fit in my trailer issue.

Isn't the Polaris outlaw and the KTM almost identical? I remember reading somewhere where they are using the same engines and a lot of the same suspension setups. I saw the 525 at the local dealer and it was impressive looking.

Trying to find someone to measure out a 250R and then trusting those measurements like you said is taking quite a leap of month when you start spending the green off from that info [img][/img]

The rear bolt pattern is tuff to find a good tire/rim selection for so that is the main reason why I bought off an ebay auction the hubs from an 1988 Blaster and used those with the 4/100 pattern not perfect as say 4/100 or 4/115 hubs would be for finding a large selection but I was able to get the size I wanted anyway [img][/img]

I would love to have the 450R front end and rear end and.....well I would just take the whole damn thing, If I remember right front shocks are 19.25" stock and like you said 49" wide stock.</end quote></div>

Sounds like the 400 arms are the way to go then. I'm sure you can make them work. You know you will have to use the whole 400 front end right? The hubs, balljoints, rims n all. Will your new rims fit the 400 hub?

Maybe you could get a 5x8 trailer and sell the one you have? They are pretty common around here for about $500 in new condition. You should be able to get at least something to offset that cost by selling your trailer that is, for some reason, an odd size. My 230 fits perfectly in the back of my Ranger. Its like the truck was made to carry that quad. Hook the 5x8 up and can carry 2 more quads.

Hmm... I don't know if the polaris and the KTM are the same. I just heard the KTM is race ready. You don't have to upgrade anything. Just jump on and race. Right down to the tires! I've only seen pics of it online, but yeah, it looks really nice.

I thought about new rear hubs, but was too lazy to figure out what will fit my axle. And then having to shell out the loot for something extra that I really didn't "need".

Yeah,,,, I'd take the whole r450 too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But I really love that frame especially [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

A welder is going to be my xmas present, so MIG it is.... I was gonna buy a new LTR450, but going fishing in Alaska in June, so ALL extra pennies are going there......

Something in the 2-300 dollar range on a welder should get a hack like me going eh?</end quote></div>

Fishin in Alaska sounds cool. Are you taking the quads?

Just make sure it plugs into the wall. You spend too much money and they need those fancy dryer plugs. Get plenty of steel to play around with learning. If you can learn to ride a wheelie, you can learn to weld. You're already a steelers fan, you might as well be a fan of the stuff that comes from them. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Just remember .035 fluxcore wire (mild steel) and a #9 or #10 shade lens. Gloves n all that stuff is up to you... I don't use them, but I hear those little ***** of molten metal landing on the skin kinda hurts. What really gets me is when they fall in my shoe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.