Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 ???'s

I have searched the forum and couldn't really find all the information I want, so I'll ask. I just purchased a 2003 z400 off of ebay at what I think was a good deal $3,000. Is that a good price for one that's in good shape? What are the known problems for this model year? I have read that the frame cracks near the front shock mount, is this correct? They also had bad axles in the early ones, how can I tell if this axle is still the bad one? What are some other known problems for this year? What else should I look out for with this bike? I got this for my soon to be wife, and hopefully she won't be able to beat me on my banshee[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default z400 ???'s

two of my friends own z400. there great really fast. you got it for good price. the only problems they have had is the radiator cap leaked. and if you ride threw deep mud alot they will over heat. try to keep your radiator some what clean. i don't think the axles are bad i ran into tree in fourth gear wide open never bent or broke.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default z400 ???'s

there was 2 problems most people had with the 03 z400
1. frame cracking
2. fuel petcock on tank messing up and not working
I have a 03 and its taken a beating and i.ve never had a problem with anything
and as for the axle it takes a lot to bend one or even break it
and 3000k isnt a bad price as long as its in good condition

Old 01-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 ???'s

demo17, I think you may hve gotten A good buy. Check out the thread Jumps BlackKawi400 posted A link on there that show's the gusset's you may want to consider.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Depending on how you ride, you will probly be fine just as it is. But something to consider. Good luck. Oh jump's is on page 2 of the suzuki fourm at present time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 ???'s

Correction, Now page 3[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Range Rover
Default z400 ???'s

Correction,

Here is the link to that thread.

Joe

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/478907.cfm

Old 01-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default z400 ???'s

Keep in mind the gussetting that I did was homeade and if you do not have the skills to do this, I suggest looking at Bare. They offer a complete Frame Job, to include blasting the frame installing their gusset kit and repowdercoating for about $450. Not bad really.

Bare Performance Frame Job

And for good measure, here are some more pictures of mine.

Overall Frame
Gussets
Subframe
Stem Mount
Shock Tower
Flat Iron
Tubing
Denton Style Mount for Stabilizer
Bottom Plate

Old 01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default z400 ???'s

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be sure to look the frame over real well for cracks and such. I don't think she will put to much strain on the frame, so as long as it is good now it should last. Is there anything else I should look for? How common is the antifreeze leak by the water pump?

Old 01-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default z400 ???'s

I bought an 03 z400 1 month ago and already cracked the front shock welds . I already planned on a gusset kit just wanted to see how long it would take for them to crack. I was suprised they cracked so easy. I was jumping ,but not huge air. If you jump at all and don't gusset you soon will.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default z400 ???'s

i bought mine brand new in april 2003, and since then it has been to hell, come back, and gone right back to hell many times over. overall it's been a very good quad, but here are some of my problems, some my fault some not:
leaking mechanical seal inside waterpump-replaced all seals, orings and impeller.
bent axle/sprocket- that wreck hurt me and my pride a lil bit.
rear fender mounting brackets- look at the back on the fender mounts near the tail light. when u roll the quad in a wreck or something, the plastic will break and u won't have anything to put your bolt through to secure the fenders. i haven't gotten a fix for this yet.
bent handlebars-all stock bars are crap, u can just about twist them yourself.

now i've jumped this thing far far beyond its limits ( to the point of loud bottoming out) and my frame shows no sign of cracking or anything.

Quick Reply: z400 ???'s