Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

amsoil for King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amsoil for King Quad

I have been running amsoil in my king quad for past 100 miles and did not buy the motorcycle oil becuse I did not know it was available will it hurt anything to run normal amsoil. I plan on putting it in my vinson also when I get more miles on it should I buy the motorcycle brand of amsoil? also when should I have my valves ajusted in the King Quad.

06 vinson
05 King Quad

Old 01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

i know that the ATV/motorcycle oil from Amsoil is for wet clutch application and if the automotive style is not. Then you answer is Yes it will hurt the king's tranny. I would drain it asap and look for any sighns of wear (metal or any kind of grit) in the oil when you remove it from the bike. If the auto oil in safe for wet clutch applications then you a most likely OK, I am not the one to answer that. I just know that the motor and tranny share the same oil. i hope this is some help!

Old 01-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

you can run regular motor oil in your King....a bike like my manual Eiger or a manual Vinson should run ATV specific oil, your King (while seeming like it woulnd't) does have a wet clutch so it will need ATV specific oil....Amsoil is a very good oil and you can generally change it every 700 miles +....don't quote me on that....your liable for what you do, but i've ran it for up to 900 miles in my Eiger and it still shifted very smoothly and oil came out not to dark

Hope that helps

Thanks to davash for pointing it out that the king does have a wet clutch

Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Rolsmojave3! hold up there a minute. Yes a King has wet clutches, for sure 100% positive! You must run wet clutch compatible oil in the King Quad. You could cause someone to screw up big time with that kind of WRONG information.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

it does....I'll be dipped....Thank you for correcting me, once again shows my human side [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]....Thanks DavAsh....btw...Nice King

Old 01-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks! Its a work in progress.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had it in there for 100 miles and have not noticed any problems with the cluch. I did not know it had a wet cluch in it until I look at some of the pictures of the cluch kits out there. I will be changing it out soon. also anyone out there no when I should ajust my valves.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Valve adjustment is recommended at 100 miles with the rest of the 100 mile service.
Good luck.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: builditbig
I have been running amsoil in my king quad for past 100 miles and did not buy the motorcycle oil becuse I did not know it was available will it hurt anything to run normal amsoil. I plan on putting it in my vinson also when I get more miles on it should I buy the motorcycle brand of amsoil?
you gotta get that automotive oil out of there, not the right stuff!

you should buy Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF). it is wet clutch compatible and contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for both two- and four-stroke ATV transmissions. The friction modifier free formulation is designed to prevent clutch slippage, delivering maximum torque and power to the wheels – a critical feature for towing or high-horsepower engines. pulled this info from the website. been using it in my wheeler since second oil change even though I don't have a wet clutch. a little pricey now with the price increases but maybe you can find a dealer that will give you a break or you can become a preferred customer and save $ if you buy enough, you can always split orders with your buds. just got new prices, $5.90 dealer and $7.55 retail, it's $20/year to become a preferred customer and get the dealer price, it's worth it for me.