Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Buying a used 05 KQ- help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used 05 KQ- help!

HI gang, I need to pick your brains here pretty quickly. I can buy an 05 Kingquad 4x4 Fuel injected, with IPT and 26 inch tires and it looks like it's been raised about 2 inches or so. It has about 500 miles and 100 hrs on it. It starts up good but I haven't ridden it an inch. I see a little surface rust around but not much, and the front axles have a little. Otherwise, it has a few body dings that the shop is fixing.

OK, so what do I need to look for and watch out for in this transaction. If I decide to take a chance with it, I might try to get an extended warranty on it if I can. What else can I look for/at?
Is it likely to be a lemon (it is yellow after all:-) ?

Has anyone seen a "Katrina" atv yet?

Thanks in advance...
Tex

Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Check and see if it still has the stock air filter. If it is a Twin Air, UNI or K&N instead, good. If it is still stock, remove it and check the butterfly valve inside the intake for a thin film of dust on top of the valves. For pictures of this, check Nyroc's website and look around a little bit for it (atv.dnsalias.com). I haven't tried yet, but perhaps you could take a Q-tip and stick it in and actually touch one of the valves and see if it brings any dust back with it. If there is no dust and/or it has an aftermarket filter, you're good to go. If it is the STOCK filter, but has no dust, you can probably still get it, but purchase a different filter, oil it and install it IMMEDIATELY after purchase. Obviously if it's smoking, at this point it's too far gone and is destined for a rebuild or the scrap heap.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys i have a questioned for anyone who can help i have suzuki 300 4wheeler and i need to know how to get the vacuum lines to hook up? let me know or drop me a line.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Red Goblin, I just saw where the stock airfilter wasn't doing the job so well. So what other complains/vulnerable points are there with this ATV?: hows the transmission? front/rear differentials? Any engine recalls or problems showing up yet? I've usually owned polaris, so this would be my first Kawi. On the KQ, anything special one needs to do to put it in reverse (i.e. roll forward a bit?) How about 4wheel drive shift on the fly, or do I need to stop first? Any other difference I need to know about from the sportsman line?

Hogrider, your topic deserves it's own thread, and have better luck getting a reply, Just find the tab that says New Thread and start it there- people will then see your title and perhaps be able to help.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Depending on the type of riding you do, I think you'll find the SUZUKI[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] KingQuad to be a big improvement over your old Sportsman in about every aspect. Ask the guy if he already had the recalls done and if he did not, to please have the papers for them. There should be a throttle assembly sealing recall and a tie-rod recall. Shift on the fly electronic 4x4 with locker which engages/disengages quickly and smoothly. Goes through the gears (R-N-H-L) perfect and without effort. I noticed on my friend's Polaris that it was a b**** sometimes to get the thing in gear and it would grind occassionally. Everything else on the machine after the recalls is sound. This thing has the best single-cylinder in any utility ATV ever in my opinion. The powerband is very smooth and strong all the way through, almost like a V-twin. There is untapped potential on the low-end because of a lag purposely built into the ignition timing to prevent unwanted wheelies by rookie riders. DO NOT let that affect your decision though, the lag is not notiecable at all when you first start riding it and then after awhile it becomes apparent, but only when you are going very slow and absolutely PUNCH it. It kind of hums along until 9mph and then snaps forward and starts booking like a fuel-injected 700 should. There will be a solution for this by the end of the year in 2006 at the latest if it really bothers you as badly as it does me and several others, but some don't care and just take it for granted and get on with it. This lag has absolutely no hindrance on pulling, climing, towing, etc. by the way. Good luck and let me know if you get it! You won't be disappointed!