Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger- erratic throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger- erratic throttle

I've had my Eiger for almost a year now, and just recently, but not always, it will not run right. Actually it's only done it twice. After running it a while, when I try to accelerate, it basically pukes. It will stay running, but it won't throttle up and when it does it backfires like crazy and the RPM's are all over the place. The first time it did it, I managed to baby it back to the garage, and let it sit overnight. Next day it was fine again. It did it again today, and I had to leave so I didn't get time to mess with it. Any ideas guys?

Old 03-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

Oh boy... not you too! Sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with mine except mine is doing that all the time. Check out my thread:

MY THREAD

It's going in to the shop in about a week, so if you don't get yours fixed by then, keep an eye on my thread.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hemi I think your Eiger hates you (although there has to be a logical answer right?) Nick I'd check the Main jet to see if it's clogged. Does chokeing it make it run better?

Old 03-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Range Rover

Yeah Rols, I think you're right. During my troubleshooting I nearly asked "Green Machine, why do you hate me so much???" LOL

At any rate, I hope nick05 can find something I've tried in my thread that'll fix his.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

I've had this exact problem. For the sake of being thourough, I'll repeat what I found...

There is a small baffle, or slotted plate, whatever you want to call it, in the bottom of your float bowl. This is where all that is undesirable collects. Coincidently, this is right where the jet intake tube pulls fuel from. You drive around, go over some bumps, something gets sucked up against the bottom of the intake tube. You curse, swear, limp it home, shut it off. The 'something' falls off or out of the end of the intake tube, and settles back onto the bottom of the bowl, waiting...

The jet in these carbs is sooooo small, that sometimes the obstructing object is too small for the average person to see. If you're over 40, you might need reading glasses and not realize it yet, but you go to clean your carb and you "just don't see anything". Get a magnifier and a good light next time you're in there checking the situation out. You might be surprised what you missed last time. COMPLETELY disassemble the bottom end of your carb. Take out the jet, examine that little tube. It has tiny little holes, check those. Blow through your jet, and the tube. I even think the tube has two parts; take them apart. Be meticulous with cleaning out the bottom of the float bowl. Use a strong light to examine down inside there. I may sound ****, but YOU may be surprised by what you see. I was.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

I wish Suzuki would have attached that baffle thing with a screw so we could remove it and clean all the gunk out easier. I had to use the end of a zip tie to scrap it and then blow it out with the compressor. When I had mine apart, there was some hardened stuff that looked kinda like gelled fuel stuck in that area.

? for you guys. If your atv is gonna sit for a while, do you drain the carb bowl or leave it full? I've left mine full since i've been using gas stablizer.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd drain it, it only takes a few seconds, and guarantees that you won't have gas gunk up in there and cause problems.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

Hey thanks guys. I tore it all apart and looked at it, i wish ida checked back here to see the rest of the replies. I looked in the carb, and took some of it apart, but didnt check the float bowl, which is kinda dumb, cuz i shoulda thought of that. Is there an easier way to get to the carb? I had to take almost the entire quad apart to get to it. I guess it doesnt help I'ma rookie with 4 wheelers. I know engines in general pretty well, but not howto get to this particular one.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I couldn't find an easier way when I was rejetting my cousin's eiger, it is nuts how much you have to tear down to get to the carb.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

You can rejet or check the floats/bowl for junk with the carb still on the machine if you have a good stubby screw driver. Take off the black plastic panels on both sides of the quad. Drain the gas from the float bowl by loosening the screw on the bottom. Loosen the hose clamps on both ends of the carb so the carb will twist. After disconnecting the fuel line on the carb, twist the carb clockwise so you can see the floatbowl on the pull-start side of the machine. Then use the stubby screwdriver, remove the 4 screws that hold the bowl to the carb. When you put it back together, make sure the intake hose on both ends of the carb is seated correctly before tightening the clamps and buttoning it up.

Forgot to mention a little 1/4" ratchet with a phillips screwdriver bit works really well too for removing the 4 screws that hold the bowl on.

Quick Reply: Eiger- erratic throttle