Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Thinking of new KQ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of new KQ????

This question has probably been posted more than anything else but here we go. This is my first post and I do value all of your opinions. I have read all the mag tests and have spoken to friends that own atv's and I just got back from riding a Honda Rancher 400 AT. Nice machine but lacks power and the brakes were horrible. Anyway I talked the wife into letting me finally buy my own and am looking at these three. Honda Rincon, Suzuki KQ and Suzuki Vinson. 90 % of the time will be spent trail riding with some hill climbing. First which do you recommend? I am 6'2 260 lbs. I live in southwestern PA and which ever you recommend I would like to know which dealers around here are giving the best deals. I have seen some advertising for Ohio dealers that deal but nothing for PA dealers. I have been online for the past week and all the information is starting to overload my brain. I will be going out and test riding tomorrow and would like to narrow down so I am not running all over the place to hit every make and model. I would like to narrow down to spend time wisely. Your help is appreciated. Thanks. And thanks for all the information I have already gotten on the forum just browsing around.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Kingquad hands down the most comfortable atv and its a climber also. get it you cant go wrong I have just over 2,000 miles on mine with no major problems and I can ride all day without getting tired. All my friends call it the cadilac because its so smooth.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

I own two Vinsons and a KQ. A friend owns a Rincon. The vinsons are great machines but with your size I think you will feel underpowered after awhile. They haul me around and I am about your size. But, the uphill climbs are slow and I always want more power to climb. The KQ is awesome!! I would highly recommend it. The Vinsons ride nice but not close to the KQ. The Rincon is a good machine but outdated and the transmission sucks with only three speeds and no low end. If you can swing the cash go with the KQ. If not, go with the Vinson and then plan on upgrading within a year or two. The Rincon costs the most and you are paying a premium for the honda name and old technology.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I did get the KQ. Just got it home. Any recommendations as to preventative maintenance and break in procedures? I rode all the others and felt the KQ was the best way to spend my money. Thanks for everyones advice. I look forward to chatin' with everyone in the future.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

Get a Uni or Twin Air filter put on it before you ride it. They are having trouble with the paper filter letting dirt into the engine and they are blowing smoke after awhile. Break in is up in the air. Some say ride it like you stole it. The book says to break it in half throttle and varying your speed for the first 20 hours or so. I am going through periods of both.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

The new EFI Rincon is suppose to be pretty darn sweet from what I've heard from people that have actually ridden it. I've yet to get any seat time. The problem with the Rincon and all Honda ATVs is the lack of a front locker which is a real hindrance when the going gets rough.

The current KQ is a good machine but you need to know what you're getting into. You need to replace the air filter before you take delivery. Also get a good long extended warranty as it seems like there is always some new defect cropping up. Also don't expect Suzuki to stand behind their machines. Once they get your money they could care less about supporting the product after the sale. They've made that abundantly clear with every issue that has come up with the KQ from ECMs to the reverse issue to the bad filter wrecking engines. They will not stand behind their products and their service sucks.

That being said, the KQ is a fine machine with a few exceptions. Does everything quite well and is one of the best all around performers. I get quite a bit of seat time on one and I love to ride the thing.

Personally the next ATV I buy is probably going to be a Bombardier Outlander 800. Providing I can get some seat time and I can nail down some questions I have on how the front differential works in the real world. That and I'd like to see if anything else comes out new before I buy late this summer or fall.

The Bomber800, KQ and Rincon are the 3 on my list. Hard choices since they are all very very good machines as I'm sure you are finding.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

Once they get your money they could care less about supporting the product after the sale. They've made that abundantly clear with every issue that has come up with the KQ from ECMs to the reverse issue to the bad filter wrecking engines. They will not stand behind their products and their service sucks.

..and many dealers..will NOT take a 2005 in trade, because of the exploding rear unit..and the 5 year life Expectancy...( 5 yr warranty joke fm screwsuzk ).....I tried...

Old 03-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

I found quite the opposite. The dealer stands behind it very well and I have read many reports of Suzuki honouring motor problems caused by the sometimes poorly seating air filter.
Mine runs like a scorched ape. I broke it in using the sometimes controversial method of warming it up thoroughly and then riding it using short bursts (5-10 seconds) of full throttle operation and varying rpm the rest of the time and it has a very tight and good engine today. I'm not saying do that, I just say I tried it and found it worked very well.

A site called Nyrocs has a very comprehensive King Quad section with a great many tips.

It has been a very good quad for me so far and I don't regret choosing it, not for a second. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Same with mine Glen. Nothing to report that Suzuki has not taken care of or is taking care of. Sometimes a little slow, but it gets done. Most often than not it is the dealer who drops the ball.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have really wanted a KQ since they came out. I have a Vinson now for a couple years and love it. But I may have to agree with CaptainQuint that there seems to ALWAYS be a new defect / problem popping up with the KQ. Ive heard the reverse issue in the new ones, the complaint from some people of the low end lag, the airfilter, the A-arms steering probs, the thumb throttle problem. My cousin just bought one so ill see how his does, its an 06. I really want another 4x4 to go with my vinnie that i want to give to wife, but even though some people are saying theyve had no probs, the ones that have, and all the problems popping up, will delay my purchase of a KQ, and may even divert me to some other 4x4. But i do want to hold out a little longer and see what happens. The dealer my cousin bought his from last week wouldnt give him a replacement filter after i told him he should try to get one because of the filter prob, I personnaly wouldnt have bought it after they refused. But then again they are a small country dealer and arent very savy in the products they sell. ( that alone will stop me from buying one from them). Any way I think I would have been more inclined to buy a new vinnie at this point, as mine has been great. And ive heard the same of the new Rincon, its improved a little over its predecessor and might be a good move.

Quick Reply: Thinking of new KQ????