Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

swing arm bolt on Lt250R HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swing arm bolt on Lt250R HELP

In the process of striping everything off the quadracer to paint the frame and all I need to do is get the bolt out that goes through the swingarm and back of the motor. The problem is that I took the nut off the sprocket side and the bolt just will not slide out. The manual says just tap it out well it wont budge. I took a breaker bar and a 21mm socket I think to the disk side to see if I could turn the bolt to break it free and it won't budge just busted the hell out of my knuckle. So what do you guys suggest any ideas I would greatly appreciate. Going to try an impact gun today but I don't think it will break it free. Thanks

Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

i had the same prob, get a long long bolt, same thickness as the pivot bolt and use it to hit the end of the bolt to get it out

Old 03-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Kidwarrior, Ok The way I got mine off is to lift the quad off the ground with milkcrates or something right under the motor, when taking the motor out that bolt should be the first thing to go but the shock is gonna put pressure on it so take off one side of the shock after that have a friend hold the rear axle from the back and lightly pivit it around while you lightly tap it out with something the same diameter being carefull not to mess up the threads it should come out with little force, P.S make sure you grease the hell outta that thing before you put it back in, hope that helped.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

This is common. The swingarm bearings are dried up and froze to the swingarm bolt.
An air chisle with the pointed tool in it is what I ended up using.. The vibration of it whacking it makes it move.
If that don't work, I've heard of using a sawzall and cutting the bolt between the frame and swingarm.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys I will try those ideas tonight. I have the bike on a milk crate with everything completely off the bike the only thing I need to get off is the swingarm bolt so I can remove the motor to paint it and to paint the frame. I tried using an impact gun and pnematic rivet gun to hammer the bolt out but nothing works i am starting to get frustrated. Thanks for the ideas i will try them.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

You shouldn't have to cut the bolt to get it out... The bearings and/or spacers are siezed onto the shaft.
In fact, be nice to the bolt, because you won't like the cost of a new replacment... (Don't booger it up)

Use an air chisel to rattle the spacers on the bolt/shaft while pulling on the bolt. It'll come, you'll just have to massage it... Don't beat the bolt out with a hammer as that will bend the tabs/ears, not to mention screw up the bolt in the process..

These really suck!

Good luck,