Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger valve adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger valve adjustments

My Eiger was bought new in 2002 but is the 2003 model. I've only put 900 miles on it and I am an older guy that does not care to abuse my machine. No hard mud dives and underwater trips etc. I aske a tech about the valve adjustments and should I have it done. His reply was if the machine starts easy and there is no clatter then don't worry about it. What say ye?

Thanks,
W

Old 03-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

I would not worry about it if it dose not clatter, but once it starts to then take it in. I had more than 900 miles before I had mine adjusted.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Pro Rider

Its very easy to check the clearance with a "go-no-go feeler guage" you should at least check it yourself and I would suggest that you change the motor oil with Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10W40, after that you won't get any internal engine wear, "0 engine wear", plus it will run cooler, shift better, a higher top speed due to no clutch slippage, yes its expensive, $8 or $9 a quart but you can keep the oil in forever cause you have no engine wear, and this oil doesn't thicken up when cold, or thin when hot, if you switch to Amsoil I promice you will see a higher top speed anywhere between 5 to 15 mph. I have turned on many guys that own bikes and atv's to Amsoil, and they are addicted for life, their life and their riding experience has changed, I don't sell Amsoil, im just helping you out cause I know its a good product and you will see a BIG difference and you will be amazed in the difference.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

It will run cooler with Amsoil, but it will not make it go 5-15mph faster....and I can get it for $6/quart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Why would the clutch slip with BAD oil? Is BAD oil MORE slippery?

"Very easy to check..." Wow, you must be a much better mechanic than I. Or you have tentacles instead of arms.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry but what is a go-no-go feeler gauge? Trying to do the valves on my 04 ozark and cant figure out how to get a feeler gauge in that little hole and all the way back to the rocker. Much less see what i'm doing in there.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Go no-go, gauge just referrs to a feeler gauge which is the low limit of the tolerance, and it should go in, and another feeler gauge which isjust over the high limit...and that should not go in.
They make tappered feeler gauges,which are narrower, and you can bend them, to get in the area, to measure the clearance.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

If you want to check it yourself (might as well adjust them too, if needed, since you have to take so much off), here are some pics I took of the service manual procedure:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

The hardest part is getting all the crap off so you can actually check the clearances. I had a little valvetrain rattle on mine, ended up being the exhaust side was a little on the loose side according to specs.

edited because my links no worky

Old 03-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

I also found it easier to take off the black plastic gaurds by the front tires and remove the fan (just let two bolts). I figured this out after trying to take off the upper motor mount and not being able to get anything done that way

Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

Can you get to the exhaust valves that way without having to pull the gas tank off? If so, that would be sweet if so.

The motor mount is a PITA because of the cable stop mechanism for the gear range selector:
cable stop
Oh and getting the bolts back in that hold the gas tank on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Eiger valve adjustments