Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt-450 vs z-400

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt-450 vs z-400

how do you think a modded z (no air box lid, k&n,piped and jetted and aftermarket cdi) would do with a stock 450?? ive heard those 450's are bad!!! no lid,baffle out and cherry bomb??? a totally diffrent bike.my buddies friend got 1 a week ago and loves it, i was hopeing to race him this weekend but wife had knee surgery 2 week's ago and now has a blood clot in 2 veins. so that means no riding for me. i think that 450 will probably take me , not sure(i think i finally got my jetting good). i hope its real close, i can hang with some yfz's and 450r's arent to big of problems. i have some mods but im still running a stock bore for now, i still want the athena 434 kit!!!

let me know you .02, thanks

i know s9195 has both so throw some of that info my way. be kind i know you love the 450!!

Old 05-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

Mod for mod I think the R450 will always be faster. If not in a drag then it sure will on the track... You can obviously put enough money into a Z of kfx to beat a stock R450 but still. The Z is now just a versitile quad that is well suited for the trail but can be made into a race machine whether it be TT, MX, XC, etc... I dont mind having a little less power though. The 400 has plenty with a few mods. I'll take my Z over probably any race bred quad just riding around for fun. Z400= Mercedes equivilant comfort. Not to mention my CEET gripper seat. Hehe, anyways...

Old 05-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

i FEEL that. i was going to buy a yfz till i sat on 1 and realized it didnt have a reverse. i had a banshee in 97' and i rmembered the no reverse and crappy suspention so i was really leaning the other way this time. i love my 400 , i know it will never be the fastest(thats why i have my banshee) but i can ride it all day.do you think a modded z would stay with a stock 450??

Old 05-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

I would think you would have to do A LOT to get it to hang with it on the track. Maybe a 440 kit, CDI, pipe, cams, and a high comp piston would get it to be AS fast in a drag but I dont really know. I havent seen or ridden one yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Rider skill is something to consider too.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

I've seen alot of them on the track and maybe it's just that everyone that has them sucks at racing, but they aren't any faster than anything else out there.

Racing is more rider than bike.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

im talking more of a 100 yard drag, i know track wise you have to do alot on a z . the 450 was made for it. how about strait line drag???

Old 05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

Stock the 450 isn't that fast. Open it up with a pipe and that "cherry bomb" and you better have some mods on your Z to keep up!

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

what up guys.... the LTR450 is one mean machine once you take out the spark arrestor, remove the airbox lid and add the $40 cherrybomb.. I mean, it totally opens up the motor like you have no idea....WITH the stock muffler. Yoshi hasn't released the carbon exhaust I want yet eventhough they already sell the same can for Honda streetbikes so it should just be a matter of time now. All I can say is that if you have someone that has an LTR with these 3 minor mods try it... you won't be disapointed...

regarding my rebuild on the z400 (ok now 434).... that thing is very torkey now with the stock carb. TI went up 1 tooth on the front sproket and dropped 2 on the rear.... although I'm still waiting for this yahoo from canada to send me a 41 mil FCR carb I got off him on ebay.... I won the auction on 4/19, paid for it 4/20 via paypal and still have not got it.... He says it was shipped on 4/20 with an ETA of 5 days for dillivery. He sent me a pict of the tracking lable, but the website doesn't accept the tracking number on the slip.. not sure what's up but it's really pi$$ing me off at this point....

The Z is just a hair slower on low and mid from my R450 it seems right now eventhough it is substancially faster then stock (hell, for the $1500 I got into the motor now it better be). The top end runs out in 5th and thats' probably because of the carb I'm running currently... Once I get the 41 mil carb on it I'm planning on having both quads dyno'd and will post the results. The mods I've done to the Z motor is: Athena full 434 kit, DRZ hi-comp base gasket, Hotcams stageII intake and exhaust cams, port and polished head (matched to intake, exhaust, and valve seats), new titanium valves & seats, dynatec ign system, full yoshi exhast. I'm into the frame/front end also over $1800 as well so this little rebuild has gotten a little out of control. Gusted/powder coated frame, LSR +2 chrome AArms, LSR anti vibe steering stem, Maier race cut plastics, full stainless bolt kit including the swing arm/rear motor mount bolt, full Streamline stainless breakline kit, vented Streamline rotors all around, aluminum airbox, Durablue swaybar, full CRJ lowering kit, home made extra lowering kit for the rear shock (drops rear of quad an extra 4 inches while keeping suspension).

In comparing the two quads, I love my Z because it's been rock solid for the past 3 years. I'm doing the rebuild because I've given the Z to my oldest son because I wanted him to have a 4-stoke quad that could keep up with us at Pismo w/out having to worry about blowing a top end on his race-blaster. (trust me, that blaster had no problem keeping up with us the way he rides). But, since I had beaten the crap out of the Z over the past 3 years it was time to pamper it a bit...

BUT... for the price the LTR is a great quad for what we do (flat track TT racing). It comes wide, small tires, lower then a stock Z, and quick. I'm sure I can get the Z to be close to as fast as the LTR but keep in mind, the LTR is stock aside from the $40 cherrybomb.... I was VERY close to getting the 06 YFZ450 for myself just before the LTR was finally announced to be release. I would have had to dump another $2k into the YFZ's or Hondas's 450R's suspension to get it where the LTR comes stock. I'm not trying to bash the YFZ at all, trust me, my dirt bike is a YZ250, but I wanted something I could get on stock and be competetive in the open vet class stock. Frankly, I'm tired always of having a project in my garage the past two years (rebuilt the blaster, then predator 90, and finally the Z434). Man, I can go on and on regarding all the mods I have on the blaster and predator 90. Let's just say the blaster can take most lightly mod'd 250r's we've raced against... But the 274's take it on the straight aways (as they should). The 90 can wheelie coming out of turns... it's all about gearing and clutch tuning at RPM's at that level once the motors are pumped. But, without a good rider all the mods in the world won't mean jack on the track...

My only knock on the LTR at this point is that its so new I've found it hard to be able to get parts for it.... I've been on the waiting list with blingstar since Feb for the propeg nerfs. I'm about to go AC soon if they don't hurry up. I'm also eagerly awaiting a pipe shootout that another form is going to be doing w/in the nxt few weeks on the LTR. I like Yoshi, but if the shootout shows that twobrothers or trinity has better numbers I'll be going that route. Check out ltr450hq.com for info on the shootout. Some good info on that forum as well for the LTR's.

one thing also.. the LTR's do not have reverse.... but have heard that using the reverse with the aftermarket ign system on Z's can mess up the mappings on the aftermarket ign systems. I'm wary of it myself so havn't used(or needed to yet) reverse on the Z since the rebuild.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

in a 100 yard drag pipe, air filter, jet your 400 and gear it down and you will win. For 100 yards.. another 100 yards and u will be eating dust.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt-450 vs z-400

I run a dyna programmable, as do many other folks along with other aftermarket ignitions and have had no issues with using reverse. I've never heard that, but I might look into it more. Where did you get that info?

Quick Reply: lt-450 vs z-400