Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eric's instructions for installing after market brake lite and accessories.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some modifications to my KQ this holiday weekend that I'm really happy about. Going to share some details with you.
First, I've wanted to add a brake lite to the King for ever and you that have KQ's, know why. My KQ is a '99 model year and there is a place to put a lite in the plastic over the top of the storage box. I found a sealed lite that fits the flange of plastic perfect. I needed a switch to operate the lite so I got a switch from a friend that had a Honda Motor Cycle, sitting around. Had to rebuild the switch but I did it with junk I had at home like the spring was broken inside the unit so I replaced it with a shorter but stronger spring from an old ink pen. I couldn't fine a place for the reaction spring to attach to so I drilled a small hole in the foot brake lever where it matches the angle of the switch when in release possition, attached a screw and there was the other end of the spring. The wiring, I installed just the way Eric, explains.

Next I wanted to have the ability to shift to four wheel lock in any forward gear. Eric's instruction here, shows how professional he really is when dealing with the individual with the least amount of mechanical know how. The information he gives is not too involved but just enough to give the regular, "change the spark plug guy", an idea of what to look for and what to avoid. I got the "Lock Shift Rod" out of the shifter assembly in no time and reassembly was easy AS I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. I did have a problem with the shifter after I reassembled the assembly but I decided to push the quad forward then back and it worked OK after that. Don't yet know what happened.

I also installed an accessory plug. Not where Eric, shows on his '97 KQ because there's not alot of room on the '99 in the same place. I placed mine on the left side, about eight O' clock from the handlebars, in the side panel. There's plenty of room there, you just have to make sure to leave enough room to get your hand in to install the wiring. To accomodate the plug, I installed a fuse box with a capacity of six fuses. This way, I can use four of the connectors if need be but I also have two spares for blowen fuses. Nothing like having a place for a spare, you never know.

One thing I didn't mention is that I also worked on the rear brake. That damn thing really gives me the flux. I'm forever adjusting and adjusting it! After I went out and bought new brake shoes AGAIN, I decided to look for another problem. I decide the cable must be streching because there was still plenty of pad left on the rear brake shoe. So I called my expert, Bill C. and he told me I was right and to move the lever two notches on the cam, that it would continue to work fine. Yes, he was right! Once you do this, you shouldn't have to readjust for a new brake other than the standard foot pedal adjustment.
I did have a couple problems, the screws I "LOk-Tite"--ed in before, had gotten so tight, I had to drill them out. Today, I went to the dealer to order a new left shifter grip and a new back cover for the speedo. WARNING! If you're gonna use "LOCTITE" use the right one. What's good for bolts is not good for screws... :0)
I estimated it took me about fourteen hours to complete everything. That includes my running around to buy items I didn't have available during the work like wire connectors, fuse box, screws and solder wire. You should beat that time.
Hats off to Eric, you took all the stress outta doing a top notch job. Nice to have you and the Atv Forum to help with the little but important things in all our lives.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS and lunch...

Old 11-28-2000, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
I was wondering if you had a small chance to test out the locker in the other ranges yet,and if so,whats your opionion?Does it steer really hard say at around 15mph or so?Does it feel dangerous at the higher speeds?Im sorta thinking if everthing feels ok,that extra wheel with traction might assist you in conquering Tin cups hill in Low range instead of Super Low range?
Bill

Old 11-28-2000, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I put these on a web site a while back complete with pictures. You can check them out here: http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/kingquad/

And no I wouldn't suggest driving your KQ very fast in 4 wheel lock. It's very hard to control. Unless your going in a straight line.

Rob

Old 11-28-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

No Bill, I haven't tried steering at a high speed yet. Just around the backyard which is 12 x 40 feet. Maybe this weekend I'll take it down to the ballfield and give it a couple turns. Don't worry, I'm not gonna try something stupid now. Not at my age...
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Ho! Rob, thanks for the warning partner. Sound advise I'm sure...

Old 11-28-2000, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK,
well I was just wondering?Anything on our mentioned trip to your friends northern property yet?

Bill

Old 12-02-2000, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Looks like we can't go to the north country to ride due to the muzzle loaders. Yep! Some of the guys are goin' up to do single shot loading on the property we intend to ride on next weekend. But there's hope... I think the DNR is about to have a change of heart about the trails on the west side of the state, which we talked about earlier. And there's still The Mounds, Gladwin, Denton & Leota, all free of hunters at this time. All we need is snow...
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...