Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'02 Vinson Auto problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Vinson Auto problems :(

Last night i was towing a small trailer (~200lbs) to move some brush from the bottom of my driveway. As i was towing the last load the transmisson suddenly gave up. It was real sudden, it seemed fine right before, wasn't making any funny noises or smells, and now it wont go forward. It barely goes but can't even pull itself up my driveway. My first thought was that the belt was shot (you can smell something burning), however it goes in reverse just fine. I tried H and L and 2wd and 4wd. I also let it cool down for about an hour, but it still wasn't able to pull itself up the driveway, so there it sits.

Just a little history on the Vinson, it only has about 400 miles on it. I've only went trail riding twice and other than that i've just used it for work around the house. Just a few months ago the dealer installed what i believe they called a shift kit, that was a recall for the problem i was having getting the shifter out of reverse. I don't remember what i was involved with that recall but i have the invoice at home if anyone cares to know. Ever since then i had noticed a faint burning smell, but i just attributed it to the Permatex-ish stuff that i could see they used to seal the engine back up. Now i'm wondering if that was the belt burning all along. Is it possible they messed something up when they performed this recall? I don't mind paying for a belt replacement because i'm sure i've abused the thing, but with only 400 miles, and how it was so sudden (not to mention that it goes fine in reverse) makes me think they screwed something up.

Comments?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

I have 4400km (original belt) on mine over all kinds of terrain and I haul heavy loads a fair bit in the winter and fall. For heavy loads ~ 400-2000LB I always use Low Range.
Have you removed the belt cover to look inside? Will it move forward at all? If not maybe they screwed up your gear shift linkage.

My Pics

Old 07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

It will go forward...it goes about 40-50 feet and then just slows down until it stops moving completely. In reverse it goes, and goes fast. I does whine a bit in reverse, but i never went fast in reverse before so that may be normal and i just never noticed it. I havn't removed the belt cover yet, im not exactly sure where it is. The only work i've done on this so far was an oil change and rear diff fluid change.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

Mine sputters in reverse due to the rev limiter and will not go any faster once the limiter sets in. Is yous like that?
As for the belt cover its on the right side down near the foot rest its the big black metal cover with all the bolts around it, it has like a round **** on it.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

If i hit WOT in reverse the rev limiter will kick in, but if i start off slow and go gradual I can get it up pretty fast. I'll take a look at the belt as soon as i have a chance to pull the cover....just debating if i should call the dealer and try convincing them to fix it.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just went and drove it after it sat overnight. Its better now; i was able to get it up the driveway...with the trailer even...but its still not right. Its real sluggish to start going and then it kinda jerks on. Reverse still seems to work fine, and engine braking is unaffected. Do you think it could be the belt from the sounds of it? I still plan on taking the cover off of course, just wondering if i should bother calling the dealer tomorrow and start accusing them. FWIW i probably put about 20 miles on it since the recall was performed.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

yep...call em up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

FYI, here's what my invoice says for when they worked on my trans:

SHIFT KIT INSTALL
FAILED PART # 99103-11166
COMPLAINT CODE 21
DEFECT CODE 45
LABOR OPERATION GK9999
TIME 12
REPAIR: INSTALL OPTIONAL SHIFT KIT PER SERVICE BULLETIN ALT-LT #34

Anyone here work for Martin Motorsports in Pottstown, PA ?? I know they're going to give me a hard time about this as its out of warranty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Somebody is gonna have to look in the belt housing......you can do it with some simple tools and a manual...or take it back and tell them you suspect they made a mistake on the last job cause they should have noticed any problems with the belt or tranny during the test drive....20miles is nothing if that's all you put on it....thats like 1/3 what most people drive on a good day![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Called and made an appt for it, gonna drop it off this saturday. The guy was real nice about it and said he put notes in the system about the recall that was just done and that i've put less then 30 miles on it since then. Wish me luck.

Josh

Quick Reply: '02 Vinson Auto problems :(