Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'02 Vinson Auto problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Vinson Auto problems :(

They called me back today. Apparantly an oil seal in the engine is leaking oil into the belt housing. They said there's no way that this could be from the recall they performed. $325 including new oil and filter. Sound legit to you guys?

BTW, what oil do you guys use? The first time i changed it i used Mobile1 MX4T 10-w40. I asked them about putting synthetic in and they said they didn't recommend it, but they would if i wanted.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had that happen on my 05 Vinson, I just posted a subject yesterday on some of my troubles. But the first time I had the problem, it started out that on the home bound trip of a good ride, it wouldn't go forward either, I had to push the machine to get it going forward, kept doing this until I was about a mile from the truck when it finally wouldn't go any more. When I got it home and opened it up, the case was full of oil. The nut holding the drive clutch had backed off allowing the whole clutch to slide over and allow the rotating spacer behind it to be pushed out of the seal it sits in and puke oil into the housing. In the mean time it chewed all the splines off the clutch, dented up all the rollers in the clutch and smashed up the support bearing that is in the cover, and the belt was totally saturated in oil. This all happened when the machine had about 600KM (around 350 miles) brand new it was.

So, I would go in and get them to show you what's wrong with the machine, but that sounds right for price wise depending on what's buggered, but you'll likely need a new belt for sure, they run around $100 alone. Let me know how you make out.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot, as for oil, just put what your owners manual states, and change it in the recommended intervals. Everyone thinks they're doing their machine a favour by putting in synthetic, but it's engineered different. The only benefit I see to synthetic (other than making someone rich by it's high price) is it's extreme cold weather starting properties. But by then the sled comes out and ATV goes away. Another tip, i've dumped my machine going too fast in reverse, the front wheels castor easily going backwards, and if you are going to fast, you can't hold on and over you go. T.