Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need help diagnosing problem with LTZ250

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing problem with LTZ250

My quad has been sitting at my parents house for about a year only being used every couple of months or so. The last few times I use it I noticed I needed to let it idle with the choke fully on for a long while before it would become rideable (normal idle would just die), but after warming up it would ride perfect. This last time it took a long while to warm up (had to idle on full choke, then ride it a couple miles) but after doing so It would run nice (power and such) however, it now makes a loud sharp clicking noise at the beginning of any excelleration in the lower gears. This noise really disturbs me (and to an extent so does the long warm up, when I first got the quad it would fire up to a perfect idle even after sitting for a couple weeks).

I should mention I live in the desert, and its almost 100 degrees out, so it shouldn't be an issue with cold.

I changed the spark plug (which was very black, probably from idling on full choke so often?)

I have tried running carb cleaner through it to help the idle problem, and I am not sure if it helps, or if just running it for a long time is what fixes the idle issue, but after letting it sit a couple months the problem is back.

If any of you guys have an idea as to what the clicking is, if its a problem or just an annoyance, or have suggestions on how to fix my idle problems, please let me know.

Thank you.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The pilot jet is starting to plug up. When you leave the quad sit for more than a few days, you should be sure to leave the float bowl empty, and the jet will stay clean. Either use the drain at the bottom of the bowl, or shut the gas valve to off, and run the motor til it dies.
For now, the good fix is to remove the pilot jet and make sure the center hole is spotless, but a quick fix, along with the carb cleaner, is to try a 1/4 turn richer on the mixture screw. The mixture screw is the fine tune for the pilot jet, and if the pilot is starting to get restricted, the mixture screw may have enough to go, to make it run better...while the carb cleaner does it thing.
The snap or pop noise when going throttle on, is a symptom of lean mixtures.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

First off, thank you for the quick responce. I really only have a the rest of today and a couple hours tomorrow to deal with this until I leave (and will not see my quad again) for several more months. I havn't done any work jetting the quad before and am unsure how I would get to the pilot jet. I am fairly adept mechanically, just have no real experience with quads/bikes, so I would like to fix this problem myself, I just need a bit more detailed instruction. Also, Im not sure I even know where the float bowl is ( I seem to have misplaced my owners manual, which would have been greatly helpful in this situation).

Any further help you could give to clerify this (or if anyone else could do so quickly) would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The float bowl is the bottom most part of the carb, and is where the jets and floats are located. Looking at an exploded diagram of your quad, you will need to remove the four bolts on the bottom of the carb to access the jets. The pilot usually is slotted for a straight screwdriver, while the main is a hex head. Clean any gunk off all the jets and other surfaces and put her back together, you should be all set. One word of caution, the float bowl screws on all carbs are notorious for being made of soft metal. Make sure you have the proper size screw driver to remove them, and get your self in a good position to put positive pressure on the screw. Worst case scenario, make sure you have a set of vice grips that are small enough to get a good purchase on the screw head in case the slots strip out. If you google Suzuki, atv, microfiche, you should be able to find a diagram of the carb. Good luck to you.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Finally got another chance to look at my quad today. Took apart the carb and cleaned the jets (soaked for 25 min in carb cleaner solution, wiped off, hit it with break cleaner, blew it out with air compressor). You weren't kidding about the screws I stripped the first one, so I cracked the rest with a pair of vice grips first, then pulled them. There is probably a better way to get the carb out than the way I did it which was out of the left side just unhooking the hoses (which did not wan't to go back in place). Anyways, the end result when I got it back together was that it kicked over and ran perfect. Went for a test run and picked up a 3 inch nail. Got to try my hand at patching a tire for the very first time (they say keep a small kit, but the tools in the kits I found are all very long, and I don't know of a tiny hand pump that i could use to repump the tire anyways).

So, thanks for all the help.