Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

O-ring Chain Lubrication?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-ring Chain Lubrication?

I have a 2001 LT160 and it has an O-ring chain.

What are the Do's and Don'ts with lubricating the chain?

I don't want to put anything on it that will damage it.

Can I use WD40? Or what kind of lube?

Thanks

Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

dont use wd40 on it, messes with the o-rings. buy a can of chain wax, clean the chain and then spray it on
and you need to keep in clean ad well lubricated for longer life of the chain

Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Ahhhh, the great chain lube debate.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
No lubricant goes past the o/x rings. Thus chain lube is a debatable thing.
I do agree that a chain should be cleaned now and then, and I do use a spray on mine, but it's more to keep rust off and lube the sprockets a lil.
I've heard about WD messing w/the o/x rings, I also see the majority spraying WD on their chains. To each his own on that one, I don't use it.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

For this type of chain, I've read on-line articles where some say WD40 is fine. Others say not to use WD40, but use a low viscosity oil (is that like 5W-30?)

Also read about Chain Wax. Is it a lot more than other lubes?

Thanks,

Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

if you think about it, WD40 is just kerosene in a can, and O-rings are rubber, kerosene and rubber dont go together. but like what was said before theres lots of debates over chain lubes

Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think there's really anything you can do (assuming that common sense is being applied) that would really mess up a good o-ring chain. I use whatever is laying around to lube mine. I started out using Bardahl chain oil, but it was expensive at $10 a can, and made a big sticky mess out of my swingarm. Then I just started using whatever I found laying aroud. I've used wd-40, regular motor oil, grease in an aerosol can, and heck, sometimes I go for months at a time without touching the chain and mine has barely stretched since I got it. I think the wd has been my favorite so far, it didn't fling off and make a mess like the other stuff did, and I don't see any reason why it would mess up rubber seals. I use wd around rubber stuff all the time and it never caused a problem.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

my opion o-ring chains are junk we have been racing mini quads for going on 4 years and they just dont seem to last any good chain lube will work but after a while the o-rings fall out at that point the it takes more horspower to turn the chain

Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Do you know how long a regular, non o-ring chain lasts on a quad with a decent amount of power (not a geeky little mini) when it's rode through wet or abrasive environments like most trail riders come across? I'll answer it for you, not very long, maybe 2 or 3 good rides if you keep it lubed. And the o-rings fall out? That's funny, the original o-ring chain on my warrior had over 140 hours of riding on it, and I replaced it because it was stretched out. EVERY o-ring on it was still intact. I NEVER heard of o-rings "falling out" of a chain.

And wait, even if the o-rings, on some freak occurence did happen to just "fall out" of the chain, why would it take more HP to turn?

Quit making stuff up, NewB sauce.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

I'm lucky to get 1 season out of any chain, the o-ring does last longer for me, I seem to stretch every chain I've had. on the 5th or 6th one now

Old 10-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Whoa,,recon99,,,the kid (or dad) showed a lil ignorance on chains but "geeky lil mini"?? Funny statement from a warrior owner. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (OK we're even j/k) LMAO
He is correct in that a non o-ring chain rollers easyer. that's why I use #40 go-kart chain on my racers. At 15$ for 10', it's a great deal and when it gets wore slightly, you just slap another on for 4 bucks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm with the bro that don't touch his for months..That's me to a T! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

BTW, I use FLUID FILM on my chains (when I do spray it). It's the absolute best lubricant/chain lube/cable lube/rust destroyer/penetrant that I've found. It stops rust and protects aluminum. It was developed for the military to protect aluminum. It surpassed the feds requirements by 7000 times (no joke).
I found it in a article here at the ATV Connection a few years back. Try it folks!

Quick Reply: O-ring Chain Lubrication?