Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

If you had 10 min. with an ATV manufactuer what would you tell them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006 | 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default If you had 10 min. with an ATV manufactuer what would you tell them?

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Originally posted by: aksafari
point out ONE SINGLE modern vehicle with externally re-greaseable bearings via zerks or whatever and I'll believe you. JUST ONE EXAMPLE.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] do trailers coun't [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I second that! Trailers seem to travel the same conditions as quads...cars? not so much

Old 11-01-2006 | 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

TWO STROKES make some friggin two strokes. BRP is making them cleaner burning then 4 strokes in both boat motors and snowmobiles. get the sand out of your v*gina and make some real engines. We know the only reason you push 4 strokes is because you make more money off the expensive rebuilds that need to be done on these new "high performance" 4 stroke engines.

oh yeah and go back to bearings with fittings so I can actually grease them and push the water out when the seal starts to go. and quit watching that farm **** it must be going to your head

Old 11-01-2006 | 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: aksafari
point out ONE SINGLE modern vehicle with externally re-greaseable bearings via zerks or whatever and I'll believe you. JUST ONE EXAMPLE.
when you have a bearing go bad on a car or truck its most likely caused by lack of grease or oil. you can remove the dust cap on most automobiles to check the grease.unless its a front wheel drive. semi's have oil in the front wheel hubs and they have to be checked because they can use oil. boat trailers have a sealed bearing system with dust caps called buddy bearings that you have to grease to keep the water out. so just because it says its a sealed bearing doesnt mean squat

Old 11-01-2006 | 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

A dust cap is over tapered roller bearings. The cap covers the nut and seales out dirt/water pretty well. BUT IT'S NOT CALLED A SEALED BEARING.

A sealed bearing is a non-serviceable unit manufatured somewhere and installed with a press AS A UNIT that has dust seals on both sides that are not in any way replaceable or serviceable. Almost without exception, CV axle vehicles (front and rear types) have a sealed bearing unit pressed into the spindle and the outer axle shaft comes through from the inside to be held with a nut on the outside. This bearing is supposed to last a LONG time. And it usually does. My two Honda Civics were like this, my three VW's were like this (Rabbit, Scirocco, Golf), Nissans are like this, all the way back to a 1977 280z rear wheel drive CV axled car. It's pretty typical.

You want your quad to have TRAILER BEARINGS??

I give up.

Old 11-01-2006 | 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

another example. talking sand rails most have sealed roller bearing on the on the front that aren't greaseable but they do have dust caps and seals. Why? to keep the sand out of the so called sealed bearing, where I work we use hundreds of "sealed" bearings that cant be greased and with in 3 months they're being changed because they went bad, because of dirt and dust getting past the seals, so having a none serviceable bearing costs more in the long run, for me I like too be able to service my bearing so im not stranded miles for camp when it shells and locks up
here's 1 more for you Ive done lots of these. 2003-2006 chevy 2500 pickup 4x4. nonseviceable "SEALED' front bearings, went bad with less than 80k on them. cost close to $400 per side to repair, if they were seviceable all we have to do is change the bearing and race $80 maybe. instead of the whole hub
thats why I feel greaseable bearings are better than sealed

Old 11-02-2006 | 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

80 THOUSAND MILES?!?!? You call that bad??? uhhh... anyone here have a quad with 10,000 miles on it?

Besides, it's common knowledge that domestic componants are of lesser quality than either German or Japanese bearings.

A high quality sealed bearing, in my humble opinion, is a very good thing. I don't want POS tapered rollers in my quad. I don't want to have to service them regularly. I had enough of that in my 1977 CJ7, my 1980 CJ5, and my 1979 CJ7 (in that order). Seals and bearings, hubs and spindles, they all suck. Even with the highest quality OEM seals and marine quality synthetic grease, every time I forded creeks (the Illinois River in So Oregon as an example) I was skeptical about my front bearings. I'd check them every now and then, and then I'd end up repacking my hubs and front bearings. There was ALWAYS moisture in there.

Screw that noise.

Old 11-02-2006 | 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, I bet there's some sort of engineering reason why there are no CV axle setups with tapered rollers, separate races and seals. Someone should call Toyota and ask them. Or VW. Or Honda. Or Subaru. Anyone?

Old 11-02-2006 | 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamRap
also, to Yamaha, bring back the warrior name. the warrior was a great name for a quad and although I love my Raptor and the name, its a little overused (80,350, 660,700)
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]you missed one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] the 50

Old 11-02-2006 | 05:49 PM
Range Rover

Aksafari, you are absolutley correct, there probably isnt any more servicable bearings in cars any more, but I would prefer to have servicable bearings. Oh yea, I know the reason that cv axles have less servicable parts in them, the manufacturer wants to sell you a whole cv axle costing hundreds of dollars, instead of a hundred dollars worth of bearings and seals. I work in maintenance in a manufacturing plant and I am constantly changing so called sealed bearings from dirt still getting into the bearing and wrecking them.

One other thing, are you guys familiar with gimbal bearings in an outdrive for a boat, an externally greasable bearing, although not a wheel bearing they are running the same rpms as the motor all the time and most people run thier boats wide open most of the time.

One other thing for sukuki, redesign the rear braking system so the pads dont wear out as often on my z400.

Old 11-02-2006 | 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Gimbal bearings are a thrust type bearing, right? An outboard motor doesn't support thousands of lbs in a dusty environment for thousands of miles.

A little different, they also operate at much higher RPM. A high load at low RPM is much better for bearing life than high RPM at low load. If you have 25in tires, and are going 30 MPH, that's only about 400 RPM. Pretty slow, no?

This debate is a little silly anyway. WHY would the manufacturer open the possibility up for user service rather than sell parts?? Isn't gonna happen.

Quick Reply: If you had 10 min. with an ATV manufactuer what would you tell them?