Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger EPI Clutch Kit Install and Test Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger EPI Clutch Kit Install and Test Ride

My Eiger has been fun. First gained power with the exhaust/jet/k&n, then lost some of the low end with the bigger wheels/tires. Just got it back with the EPI clutch kit. Install was pretty simple and could have been done in an afternoon if I hadn't tore a gasket and then waited a week and a half for the new one to come in. Took a quick test drive around the neighborhood just now and it feels great! Can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow.
Might just put the stock wheels/tires back on for fun to see what it runs like.
Would highly recommend to anyone w/ an auto Eiger.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have a God-awful noice coming from the clutch area. I opened it up and the fixed plate (the one with the fins on it)is loose and appears to be making contact with that metal plate behind it. How did you get that first nut off and what size is it? I didn't have an impact socket that big, my set goes up to 24mm. If my repair isn't too costly, I may put that clutch kit in while I have this thing apart. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

Offhand I'm thinking it was a 26. My book is buried out in the garage though. I used an impact wrench. Those things are tight!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

It was a 27mm and that was the only size the tool shop had that was in that range. I got it off with the impact and the fixed plate, the one with the fins on the back side, was just hanging on there. All the spline grooves were worn smooth. I couldn't believe it. I don't know how the thing moved with that part just spinning on there. That might explain my 30mph top speed. So, it looks like a $70 part and a new belt oughta do the trick. Thanks for the reply. Does the clutch kit then get installed on the left hand (driven) side?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

The big spring goes on the left side and the small (sprag) springs go on the right. The directions are pretty good that come with it. Just be sure the belt is up out of the way when tightening everything back up. I didn't so had some slipping and had to open it back up and replace the bearing and oil seal on the cover.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

It doesn't come with lighter rollers? I have a CVT on my offroad buggy and they sell a similar kit. The spring on the left side is the same concept. However, replacing the rollers on the moveable side on the right, it would make the belt engage at a higher RPM, giving better low end performance, better take off. Interesting.
So, after taking the right side components off, there's a plate there with 3 screws. Does this then have a "wet" clutch behind that? Is that the gasket that you tore?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Range Rover

EPI used to make a kit with the weights as well as springs. I guess there wasn't much demand so no more weights, just springs.
After you take off that small plate, you have to take off the inner clutch cover plate. It's about the same size as the outer belt cover. That's where the wet clutch is. That's the gasket I tore.
An impact driver is a good thing to have for those 3 phillips head screws. I almost stipped one of the heads before going to the store to get one.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 PM
DJW
Trailblazer

Thinking of installing one on my Vinson. Would like to hear some feedback on the pros and cons of the part. How is the performance affected? Thanks

Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Did you buy that spring compressing tool they have on the site for $79? Did you just use a vise to get that large spring compressed?

I hear you about that impact driver. I need to get one. I got one of those screws off and then was on the verge of stripping another and I quit. I figured my curiosity as to what was behind there wasn't worth stripping that screw.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

DJW, you gain low end power and pulls through the rpm range stronger. Downside is you lose a couple mph off the top end. In my case I didn't care about the difference between 52 and 55 mph since I ride trails where that speed would end your riding pretty quick.
RonV, one of my neighbors has a big shop press so we used it. There's a thread around here somewhere on how to fashion a tool out of long bolts and bar stock though. Or I would think even a long bolt with really big washers and nuts. (legal disclaimer, trying that may be dangerous to your health). My vise is too small to have even thought about trying that.

Quick Reply: Eiger EPI Clutch Kit Install and Test Ride