Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Curious about the Z250

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about the Z250

These seem like nice little quads. Just sitting on them, they are a tad small but very comfy. The shaft drive on a sporty quad is interesting too.

So the question on my mind is..... is this just an ozark with different plastic?..... In the overall grand scheme of things, where does the Z250 fit in among the other sport quads from say 200 - 350 cc???

I'm thinking in terms of reliability, serviceability, performance, suspension, handling, acceleration, speed, ect........

THANKS

Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

they are great little quads,good for beginners go pretty fast(bout 50 tops), they are very reliable, but for the most part they are an ozark, i have an ozark and love it. for me getting a z250 would be a step down from my QS230

Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically an Ozark - a little lighter due to different plastic and no racks plus there's just a tic more suspension. The Z250 would be considered a beginners sport quad. Reliable as all get out but if you are looking for sport quad performance you will be able to outgrow it.

Jaybee

Old 12-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Quadsport 230,

Now that's a comparison that believe it or not, I can understand. I had an LT230S Quadsport years ago. A blue and white one. Good little trail quad.

Jaybee,

Personally, I know I'm way beyond this quad for my personal machine. I have been for oh... about 20 years now... lol... I was ripping during the hay-days of sport quads. Back when you could go to your dealer and buy a new LT250 or LT500 (had both).

But on to my point... I quit riding for a few years there. (back injury) But now I'm starting to get the itch again... and to be fair about it, I have more people to think about now than just me. My daughter is old enough to enjoy it as a passenger now, and my wife would like to ride sometimes too.

So here's my thing... I'm at a point in my life now where I don't have to have the fastest sport quad out there anymore. I don't need it for family rides either. All I need is to be able to keep up with the others on the trails when I'm not family riding. I'm in no big hurry to run out and buy something either. So I will probably just keep my eyes peeled and most likely end up with say a 400 for myself, possibly smaller if the right opportunity comes along.

What I'm pondering right now is the 'other quad'. I know it's sorta selfish of me. But I'd like to fill that need with something I can enjoy too, ya know? I mean it may not get ridden as much as I think it will. So I want it to be something I'll ride too.

When I first started thinking about all this, I was thinking I'd get a sport quad for me and then a 4x4 utility quad. It would be an ATV for family rides, and double as a pack mule for the picknic basket or whatever that I can't haul on mine. Then when it wasn't doing that, I could take it to 4x4 the really badlands, take it hunting/fishing, ect.

But I'm trying to think of everything and everybody. Plus I was still trying to keep my mind open towards some of the others like the Z250, Ozark 250, and similar smaller/lighter quads. It a lot of ways, they seem worthy of consideration too.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

well i own a blaster and my wife just got an ozark. i even took it out last week solo and again for a toys for tots ride. its a fun quad easy over obsticles even has a little get go. but to fun factor especially compared to my blaster no way. its fun i think the z250 would be ok. it has reverese 9.1 in ground clearance shaft drive . if u want go and get it.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duster -

I'd give serious consideration to any of the many utilities out there. Compared to only five to ten years ago, many of the ute's today are more accurately classified as sport utes. If you are interested in slowing down the speed to a more 'family pace', then there is no real reason for a sport quad. If you still have the back problem, I'd highly recommend a ride that has IRS over a fixed rear axle as there is a big difference in ride comfort. As to keeping up with other riders - many of the big bore sport-utes will have no problem keeping up with many of the sport quads but even mid sized utilities are no slouch out on the trails. Especially on tight woods trails, a mid-sized utility (400 or so)will have no problem staying with a group unless the skills of the riders are vastly different.

Jaybee

Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

I guess you would have to have ridden a many of different quads to be able to make a decision. I have personally. Heres the scoop. The z250 is extremely light compared to any utility quad and you can definately tell it on trail rides. Its easy to whip around and negotiate on tight trails. Its narrower than most other quads, thats a good thing and a bad thing. its a lil tippy, but it will get through tight trails easily. Its comfortable and reliable. If you get stuck, it light enough to pick up and free it. Mine would do 54 mph stock. The brakes are better than any quad i have ridden. It stops better than my kfx400, my buddy's ltr450, and any utility quad i have ever rode. its a very good trail quad. my 400 does soak up the big roots and bumps a lil better, but you have to modulate a clutch the whole time, which sux. You can't go wrong with it unless you desire to go fast then you will get bored with it.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

LTZGUY,

Well that was sort of my line of thinking. I had the thought that maybe a smaller lighter quad would make an easier ride for my wife. The auto clutch is a plus too since I'm not even sure I can get her to use that. I might even have to grit my teeth and consider something else fully auto... dunno...

But anyways... looks like the Z250 would make a nice quad for her, and if it lasts into the future, a good ride for my daughter someday. Plus while I know I'd get bored quick on wider trails and fire roads, I figure I might like riding it some in reat tight woods.

As for the "tippy" thing. I get that feeling from most stock quads. Especially the small ones. I'd probably step it out a bit with some spacers or something.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the Z250 and I'd have to say it is a lot of fun to trail ride with. Most of the guys I ride with all have 400cc+ 4x4s and when trail riding I don't have a problem keeping up with them. Most of the time I'm running it close to wide open but not getting left in the dust or anything. If you do have a bad back I would definately not recommend a Z250 for you tho. At the end of a day of riding I'm pretty sore while the older guys on there "cadillacs" are fine. A lot of the riding we do is is in very rough rocky terrain which doesn't help any. When is comes to the tighter trails I get to have the fun because I can throw the Z around while the guys on the utes are struggling.

My next quad will most likely be a 400cc+ ute. It definately wouldn't be a downgrade thats for sure.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

My 2 cents...
I have 2 LTZ 250's for both my kids. They have been awesome! Reliable and quick enough. My wife rides them as well but she still prefers automatic. As for tippy, I put the 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers all around and they have worked great. It is nice to finally see some aftermarket performance parts coming out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Curious about the Z250