Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

After much thought the Lt's getting it, am I on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After much thought the Lt's getting it, am I on the right track?

Hey fella's,

After much thought and debate, I have decided to build my 86 LT from the ground up. Here is what I have purchased in the last 2 days.

Kehin PWK Carb
Burgard Cycles Swing Arm (powder coated Yellow) and New bearing carrier- comes with all bearings etc to do the job
Burgard Cycles +2 A Arms ( powder coated Yellow) - Also comes with all bearings/bushings ETC.
Factory Shop manual
New brake pads front and rear.
Coming soon +4 rear axel- gotta wait on some more funds!!! Anyone wanna sponsor this build? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Its coming down to the bare frame, then it will get sand blasted checked for cracks (repaired as needed) then powdercoated blue of course. My plastics and seat is in fantastic shape so they will stay the same. I will go with new bars, grips etc. The a set of Douglas wheels and holeshot tires.

Now I need some shocks and I almost had a heart attack when I saw the prices. 835.00 smackers for the rear alone and about 500+ for the fronts. Do any of you have a cheaper suggestion? I heard 400EX shocks will work is that true? I'm not gonna race the bike I am just a weekend trail rider with maybe an occasional trip to the track.

After I get the Chassis back together, I will hunt down someone GOOD to build my engine.

Am I on the right track here or am I doing this bass akwards? Feel free to give any suggestions and constructive critisism.

Thanks, Shawn

Old 12-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure you want that frame blue.check mine out.I went with yellow.Is yours a 250 or 500?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I can only dream of a 500, its a 250. You're right your bike looks sweet with that yellow frame, heck its just killer all the way around, nice bike. I just thought that with the yellow swing arm and yellow A Arms I needed to offset it a little. But I might rethink this and just have a Blue engine.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

hey how much is it approximately to get a frame powdercoated?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

I only have one quote so far of 400.00, but they are on crack, if thats the lowest I can get, the frame will get painted.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

make sure you gusset the frame. the 85-86's are prone to cracking.

400ex shocks won't fit on the 85-86. they are too long. the 85-86 have shorter shocks than the 87-92 lt's. you can get a set of cheapy works for about $350.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

SBLT,

You are just the man I'm looking for. I really need to get those cases you have on your site. Mine have been repaired. Are they still for sale? It'll be another week or so before i can get them. I figure if I'm going all out, I may as well go all the way.

Oh yeah,

And just where do I need to gusset the frame, any pics to show this. I will definately have that done thanks for suggesting it.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

my buddy powdercoated his frame yellow and got the A-arms chromed,really looks good.We got our frames powdercoated for a 30 pack but we new the guys pretty good.But I've got a 250x frame right now that I need powdercoated and their gonna charge me 200.00 I think.If you do get it powdercoated you'll need to get it sandblasted first and after you do you need to really sand paper it good.That makes the powdercoat really smooth looking.I think now though that they may use something other than sand to remove the old paint.I've seen on TV they can use pecan shell and plastic beads instead of sand and it wont rough up your frame as much.Dont dip your frame in any kind of liquid chemicals because that liquid will get inside your frame and when they powdercoat it may run out and mess up your powdercoat.My buddy dipped his frame in a big vat that they dip car motors in and he couldnt get all that liquid out.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: smokerider29483
SBLT,

You are just the man I'm looking for. I really need to get those cases you have on your site. Mine have been repaired. Are they still for sale? It'll be another week or so before i can get them. I figure if I'm going all out, I may as well go all the way.

Oh yeah,

And just where do I need to gusset the frame, any pics to show this. I will definately have that done thanks for suggesting it.
yes i still have those cases. when your ready to get them, email me at sblt500r@yahoo.com

the major places are the upper front shock mounts, and the upper a arm mounts. you need to place 1 or 2 bars between the upper a arms. the frame can also kink behind the lower a arm mounts. look on www.everything2stroke.com there is a picture of a 88 frame with gusset mounts circled. its a little different than the 86 but you can still get an idea.

i would change the front bumper from a clamp on to a bolt on. not sure which bumper you could use, but you would have to weld tabs on the frame to mount the new bumber to. it will add a cleaner look and not scratch your paint up.