Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

02 Vinson questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Vinson questions

I am looking at buying an 02 Vinson with less than 700 miles on it and I have a few questions.

1-The "start in gear" feature is not functioning as it must be in neutral or park to start and applying the rear brake makes no difference. My question is has anyone else had this problem and what is involved in fixing it? Just replace the switch I assume, but where is it located? Is it the same switch as the brake light?

2-I think I remember reading about the 02's having a recall on the gear shifter? Is this correct? If so, how can I tell if it has had the recall performed? If it has not, what is involved in fixing the problem? I test drove the wheeler and it seemed to shift fine.

3-I didn't notice any indicator light for the 4wd? Is there one and I just missed it or do you just go by the position of the handle bar button? I am trying to find all issues with the wheeler before making the dealership an offer.

4-I noticed the brakes were squeaking a bit and the rear brake hand lever was in need of adjustment. I have read that the Eigers and Vinson are notorious for brake wear. If the pads have been neglected to be changed, am I looking at an expensive rotor replacement?

5-Also, are there kits available or instructions for adding a reverse override? I noticed the governor kicking in and I know this can be a pain when stuck

Anything else in particular that I should be looking for on this model? This is not my first used atv purchase, so the usual stuff isn't a problem.

Thank you in advance for the assistance

Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, I guess no one has heard of any of these issues with the Vinsons?

Do any of these things seem like problems to be concerned with?

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

My 02 Vinson has been trouble free to this point. The start in gear feature only works with the hand brake pulled in on mine, so if you are pushing the foot brake, don't expect it to start. No problems with the shifter as others reported. I know some had the transmission removed to make the fix, but mine is fine. The "4WD" shows up in the LED in small letters under the speed. It can be difficult to see at times, especially when muddy. The brakes are noisy most all the time, but especially after getting in mud. I have removed the caliper and cleaned it all up with brake cleaner, but that is only a temporary fix. I just turned 1000 miles this weekend and have just ordered a new set of brake pads for the rear. I hear the EBC Severe duty pads fix the problem others have had.

There are some good deals on new Vinsons now also. I would not pay more than $4000 for a used one.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply

I am pulling in on the rear hand brake lever and it will only start in neutral or park. I am going to check to see if the brake like is working with that lever, as it appears that the same micro switch could control both.

They are asking 3900 for this one and I am hoping to get it for quite a bit less.
I will not pay what they are asking and price will dictate whether I get this one or not.

I will have to look harder for the 4wd indicator, as I didn't notice it the first time.

Wish me luck. I bought my wife an 03 Eiger manual a year ago and have been COMPLETELY satisfied with that purchase. That 4 wheeler is the reason I am looking at the Vinsons. If they are as good of quality as the Eigers, I will be pleased.