Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt80 rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did this fix the problem?

I know its an old thread, but did replacing the rollers and movable drive face fix the rattle? I just worked on mine and the previous owner had it full of marine grease, so I took some globs out and now I have a serious rattle to chase down. I gets louder once its warm and been run a bit.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Suzuki had it full of grease. The old owner ay have filled it, most ppl don't jam it full. I'm presuming that you installed new rollers. Unless you didn't get the key/notch correct. That may cause a rattle.
Rattle could be piston/cylinder slap or bad main bearings. Maybe do a compression test.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Suzuki had it full of grease. The old owner ay have filled it, most ppl don't jam it full. I'm presuming that you installed new rollers. Unless you didn't get the key/notch correct. That may cause a rattle.
Rattle could be piston/cylinder slap or bad main bearings. Maybe do a compression test.
It was running well except for slipping when I took it apart. The rattle wasn't there. I'm hoping its not the piston/cylinder or main bearing.

I did not replace the rollers, I just inspected them for flat spots. I guess I'll replace the rollers. I also think I forgot to pay attention to the notch when I was figuring out how to put it in. I bet its that.

We are out at glamis now. I guess I'll have to pause the fun and verify the notch is right for now, as I don't have rollers and grease with me.

Bonus question: The bolt that holds the pan on the left crankcase wouldn't go in all the way and I couldn't figure out what the problem is for the life of me. I had my mechanic father help and it doesn't seem cross-threaded. He thinks maybe a piece of a bolt broke inside, but all the bolts look fine. I verified its the right bolt using the manual and I have another LT80 to compare to. I'm not going to force it and ruin the case.
Have you ever had this problem?

Old 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

It'll be the key/notch. If rollers are not flat, they are good. I only use a dab of grease to hold them in place during installation.
Bolt prob:: I'm not sure of what you are calling the pan. Skid plate thing?

Old 11-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, the skid plate. Would the it go back together if the key/notch isn't lined up? I remember rotating it until it went on more.
I made a total rookie mistake. The source of the slipping is missing teeth on the rear sprocket. I swear I checked it, but I think 4 kids has made me crazy! I need to give myself more time to prepare for outings.

Good news: I replaced the bearings in the secondary clutch, replaced the bell housing for the secondary clutch (had grooves in it), took the glaze off the shoes, put a new belt in (didn't quite need it yet), replaced seals and o-rings, and learned a lot about the transmission.

Bad news: had to cut the riding short on our trip, will have to open it up again, and didn't really have to do it in the first place.

LT80, the secondary clutch drive faces have a slight groove worn in them from the belt. Is that real critical to fix?

I'm so thankful for your help!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Skid plate: the left bolt isn't very long. If you are getting it in a fair amount, it's ok. I have seen them break but it's usually a flush break (not being able to get bolt in at all).
Drive face: run it! I've seen them very bad and used with no problems.
Front clutch: yes, it'll go together without the key being aligned.. It's not supposed to tho. lol. If not aligned, when you impact the nut on it squeezes onto the crankshaft. It may be tough to wiggle off if it's smashed. Sometimes the roller plate can be saved with a lil filing and such.
I miss Glamis, been there 4 times.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

(edit: got it off. Figures it happens right after I post.)
Any tips on wiggling the it off? Since its difficult, I assume it confirms I failed to line it up.
Any tips on sourcing the sprockets? Just any ol' 13T and 26T sprockets work?

Edit: definitely didn't align it correctly. luckily, I have a new plate waiting here.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I use Suzuki sprockets 10/22~520 or 12/26~428. Other sizes I call Hetrick Racing.