Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230E vs. LT230S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230E vs. LT230S

Is there any difference in the Sport and Runner models?
My model does not have a manual clutch. Will top ends swap between the two?
Any suggestions on where to find details on these?
I am new to these so need info.
Thanks

Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I can remember the 230e had an auto clutch, while the 230s had a full manual clutch. Besides that, and the rear rack on the 230e I am almost certain there was no difference........

I had a 230s and a friend of mine had the 230e and besides the clutch and rack I cannot recall any difference..........

Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

the top end in both quad is the same thing the only difference is that the e model is electric start and does not have a clutch while the s model does. everything else is interchangable

Old 04-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can I buy a clutch for a lt230s to but on my lt230e?

Old 04-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are actually lots of differences between the two, but there are also lots of parts that are interchangeable.

They both have clutches. The 230E is a centrifugal clutch (auto) while the 230S has a manual clutch. No, you cannot simply put a quadsport manual clutch on a 230E.

The the 230E has an electric start with recoil backup. The 230S has a kick start.

The top ends will interchange. The camshaft for the 230S is more aggressive and a big upgrade to the 230E. It is a direct swap. The carb is also larger on the S model and will fit on the E. I believe the 230S may have more compression also, but I can’t recall for sure.

Lots of little things that you’d think would be the same are not. The header pipe, for example, is not the same. It has a much bigger bend in it on the sport. The motors do not swap from one frame to the other like many think without some custom work. The frames are similar, but different. The footpegs are not the same. The 230E came stock with a rear rack in the early models years, but it was optional in the later years. It also had an optional (and very rare) front rack. That rack will NOT fit on the 230S without some mods. (The 230E has larger holes in the frame for the front plastic to mount under the front nose piece. Those bolts are used to support the optional front rack.)

The lower end of the motors are way different, not just due to the manual vs auto clutch. The E lower end is much wider due to the recoil. (That’s why the footpegs hae to be different – to clear the wider lower end on the E.) The internal gearing is different (it’s actually faster on the E), but the S came stock geared faster via sprockets. The reverse shifter internal mechanism is also backwards on the two models. For the Sport, you kick the lever forward for reverse. For the E, you kick it backward for reverse.

There are other things that are different, but close enough to swap between the two. The swing arm, for example, is very similar between the E and the ’87 and ’88 sport models. They are not identical, but you can interchange them. The plastics are nearly identical also and can be swapped.

The axles and a-arms are the same to my knowledge. The shocks will interchange, although they are not identical. They are softer on the sport and stiffer on the E. ‘88 and newer models have a remote rezzy on the rear shock on both the E and the S.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by yagerzzz
There are actually lots of differences between the two, but there are also lots of parts that are interchangeable.

They both have clutches. The 230E is a centrifugal clutch (auto) while the 230S has a manual clutch. No, you cannot simply put a quadsport manual clutch on a 230E.

The the 230E has an electric start with recoil backup. The 230S has a kick start.

The top ends will interchange. The camshaft for the 230S is more aggressive and a big upgrade to the 230E. It is a direct swap. The carb is also larger on the S model and will fit on the E. I believe the 230S may have more compression also, but I can’t recall for sure.

Lots of little things that you’d think would be the same are not. The header pipe, for example, is not the same. It has a much bigger bend in it on the sport. The motors do not swap from one frame to the other like many think without some custom work. The frames are similar, but different. The footpegs are not the same. The 230E came stock with a rear rack in the early models years, but it was optional in the later years. It also had an optional (and very rare) front rack. That rack will NOT fit on the 230S without some mods. (The 230E has larger holes in the frame for the front plastic to mount under the front nose piece. Those bolts are used to support the optional front rack.)

The lower end of the motors are way different, not just due to the manual vs auto clutch. The E lower end is much wider due to the recoil. (That’s why the footpegs hae to be different – to clear the wider lower end on the E.) The internal gearing is different (it’s actually faster on the E), but the S came stock geared faster via sprockets. The reverse shifter internal mechanism is also backwards on the two models. For the Sport, you kick the lever forward for reverse. For the E, you kick it backward for reverse.

There are other things that are different, but close enough to swap between the two. The swing arm, for example, is very similar between the E and the ’87 and ’88 sport models. They are not identical, but you can interchange them. The plastics are nearly identical also and can be swapped.

The axles and a-arms are the same to my knowledge. The shocks will interchange, although they are not identical. They are softer on the sport and stiffer on the E. ‘88 and newer models have a remote rezzy on the rear shock on both the E and the S.
yagerzzz - you appear to have a lot of knowledge on this - I just picked up a 1987 LT230e - at least that is what I decoded from the vin (except the e part - figured that is based on the battery in the back!)
So I was looking for a manual and all I could find is a manual that covers the 230s. Also when looking for basic tune up parts - carb kit, gaskets, oil, plugs, etc. Can I assume the 230s stuff will work? Not many sellers of parts list out the 230e in their description.

Thanks!
Joe

Old 06-13-2021, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

is there a way i can use the stator off an E on an S model