Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What to get, need help?KQ,Vinson,or ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get, need help?KQ,Vinson,or ?????

I am planning on purchasing a new quad in the next couple of weeks. I am pretty much set on getting a suzuki, b/c I think they are the best bang for the buck. My question is, what do I get. I want a fun, 4x4, that will take me anywhere and that will be fun on the trails. I do not need to break any land speed records, but I don't want to be left so far behind that I lose my buddies on the trails.

Choices and Prices
2007 Suzuki KQ 700 - $6499
2007 Suzuki KQ 450 - $5799
2007 Vinson 500 - $5399
2005 AC 400LE (with bumpers, winch,mag wheels) (2.5 hours on it, like brand new) - around $4000

I have owned quads in the past (scrambler and raptor) so I am very familiar with them. My main question, which has probably been asked 100 times is do I need the big bore? Is the 700 that much better than the 450? Is the 450 that much better than the vinson?

And last of all, what about the AC400? Is it a dog on the trails. I have read about it a little and there is good and bad reviews. It is a pretty good deal. 2.5 hours and I think I could get it for more like 3500. But I do not want it if I am going to be sucking hind tit on the trails. Like I said I do not need to break any land speed records, just keep up.

Thanks for your help.

Vipertech

Old 02-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Range Rover

.."For the money" the KQ should fill your bill.. we had a vinson 500 5spd (wifes)..but it was Dangerous when in first gear, "Going over a large Log"..it was too light in the front end, and the trottle was touchy, the sucker could come over your head...that almost happen with her..next day I put it up for sale and bought the KQ 700.( avoid certain 2005 year because of air filter and the reverse problem)...its much more stable on the hills.( I liked the vinson 5-spd my self..very quiet and fun..but shifting all the time in the mountians..became old) I myself had the prairie 650 vtwin..very nice, but the darn clutch was a pia....cleaning,adjusting etc..eventually you want to get a machine with IRS..Independent rear suspension..after several years of the straight axle..I will never go back to the straight axle stiff ride...BTW ..try to spend a little more and go with the 700cc IF..your insurance to insure it is reasonable..some ins companys jack up the premium if its over 500cc and your under 25 years old....that is somthing I'd check out before getting over 500cc..and if you plow with it..many people said don't get a machine under 500cc if your going to use a plow..Good luck with your new ride.and let us know what you got..I bought a new Can-Am 800cc..all I can say is "Don't test drive one"..your toast if you do..lol

Old 02-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Range Rover

I would not get the Arctic Cat. My sister has a 2006 400, and when I rode it, I had to laugh. It is a dog, that sits up to high stock.She has had shifter problems since new, and arctic cat was not to great about a quick fix.She never even rides it, and it was broke.Go for the Suzuki, and if you've got the extra $$$$ get the 700.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

i have the 450 and love the machine. u can keep up with the 700's plus u save in the gas department. ya of course if u race them u will lose, but its a utility machine. anyone riding it like a sport quad is foolhardy i think atvscene has a video of the 450 u should check it out.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Please do not get the AC400. Friend has one and has been a nightmare. I find myself always waiting for him to catch up when riding, when his AC is not broke and we get to ride together. If you are looking for a quick and very fun machine the Vinson is for you in the manual shift. I dont mind shifting gears and love the way the Vinson handles, it is a sport utility.

The King 700 and 450 have a locker, fuel injection, auto tranny, and the irs. I have ridden some irs bikes and personally like the sportiness of the solid rear axle. I suggest riding each in real world conditions. That is the only way to get the best info. Just a ride in the parking lot wont do and me as well as others just have our opinions.
I remember talking my buddy into looking at the AC because of the specs on paper. He went and bought it without riding it, except for the parking lot, and regrets everyday he bought it. The Suzuki's are good reliable machines imho.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 PM
DJW
Trailblazer

I have a KQ 700 and a 500 Vinson auto. I also have a 650 brute force solid axle. The KQ is a nice bike, IRS and all, but it takes some getting use to the way it handles. The BF is quicker, but much harsher of a ride. I don't know what it is about the Vinson, but I just like the bike. It is plenty fast, about 60 mph, and it just seems to go through anything. It is alittle narrower than the big bores and maybe that helps with the trail riding. All I can say is that it is a nice bike all round. The big bores have alot of power in comparison, but the Vinson never gets left behind on the trails.