Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Cheap Eiger Upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Eiger Upgrades??

I'm running at sea level but i'm thinking coal creek is 1000 above, so i'd probably let it run a lil' leaner until i get back from there.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

How much difference will there be if i get the complete jet kit instead of just changing the main jet?

Old 02-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Range Rover

I believe the difference is the kit comes w/ more main jets and a needle jet as well. If you want to save money you can slip a small brass washer under your factory needle jet, install a main jet from the dealer and be done for a few dollars. When I did mine a few years ago, I got three jets for around $7 and the brass washer from friend. Oddly enough, my Suzuki dealer didn't carry the jets but the Kawi dealer next door did.
A little cheaper than a $50 kit, and if I'd have known I'd wind up using the 135 on my machine it would have been cheaper yet to just get the one. I've been from sea level and up through the the trails at Hatfield McCoy w/out having to change jets so I'm thinking unless I go to some serious mountains the others would just collect dust until I lose them.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

What is the brass washer supposed to do? I'm thinking i'm just going to do the main jet and clip the spring that others have did. U said u went to a 135, so i take it u have a few mods to yours too, how much difference did u feel from all that u did?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Range Rover

The washer lifts the needle up a bit. Jetting makes a pretty good difference on the Eiger since they are lean from the factory. Do it in combination with a pipe and better breathing filter and you'll really like it. If you're going with 26" tires, you'll definitely want all that.
I did all those combined w/ Aksafari's airbox lid drilling and was much better than stock. Added the 26" tires and felt like it was back down to stock level power so then did the clutch kit and I'm back where I want to be.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Guys,, Just a quick rundown of what I did in the last few days on my Eiger, and suggestion for those that are thinking about it. For reference when I started..Bone stock 04 eiger,,Shifter,,stock dunlops.
During my annual maintenence I decided to do the jetting change.. All I could get was a 132 jet so I went for it,,I also trimmed the lip of the mouth of the "snorkle" that feeds the airbox,,I did not drill the holes in the tube like AKSAFARI has detailed in the past.
I noticed a diff right away! It's not life changing HOLY S**T power ,,but it does pull harder. After a rough day of pretty serious riding / mudding I was real happy with the boost, Pulled hills I would normally shift down on!!
Just before we got back to the house,( and after spending a looong time trying to get un-high-centered in a mud / water hole ) My quad would not run past 1/4 throttle. ( note: this is after riding over 40 mi.) after a tear down carb cleaning I found a piece of plastic in my new 132 mainjet..clearly from the "trimming" of my "snorkle". while I was had the carb out I went ahead and trimmed the spring, another noticible diff, Gets RPM's a little faster.
So Here is what I would tell sombody that was thinking about doing these basic and cheap mods...
#1. Pull The Carb Out Of The Machine...Yeah you can do all these things in the bike but it is WAY easier and faster when you pull it out..I promise it is not that hard,,and if you have big hands,,working on the bike is challenging.
#2. Silicone Grease!!! is good.. I needed it to put the diaphram back in the top and it sure helped when I was putting the carb back into the Airbox / Intake boots.
#3. If you have not done it already,,Install a fuel filter,, (Napa Gold 3011) and get an aftermarket air filter.

Next up..lift and 26" tires..
Good luck and THANK YOU to all those that have posted all this great info in the past. JJ

Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Great post! Where abouts are you mounting/installing the fuel filter at? As u can see i started this post as CHEAP upgrades, i have steered away from that. I didn't plan on doing this much to this atv this soon, but in the past week i've ordered an hmf pipe with required jets, k&N filter, vinson front shocks, z400 fronts for the rear, 26" gators all around, and will be doing the spring clipping when i jet it. I took a before picture before i did anything to it and will be posting up the after pic sometime next week after everything is installed as well as a review on all the mods. I have tested out the 26" gators and damn what a difference! Probably one of the best tires on the market for the money, i got mine for $260 shipped to my front door.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I put the Fuel Filter in line between the petcock and carb. Really easy,You may find another filter that works,,The PN I gave you is just what I used. Where did you get the Vinson Shocks? I have heard that foreman 450 shocks may also work.. I will definetly use the bigger shock method to do my lift..At 230 lbs I am hitting bottom ALOT,, I could use a little more travel. AKSAFARI told me the driveline noise he is getting is probably from something else ...not the driveline angle. I am trying to stay away from a new pipe..We ride on some ultra cool trails and don't need any extra "attention" if you know what I mean. I am ready for new tires as well,,I ran MudLites on my old KQ and they were great,,I am hearing a lot of good stuff about SwampLites as well..Keep us updated,,I will start taking pics as soon as I start with the cool looking stuff. JJ
P.S. Please let me know what and where you got the vinny shocks. JJ

Old 02-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

I got them at atvworks.com, something like $151 shipped, supposed to be a heavy duty shock, it was said to work on 450 foremans as well, i posted up in another thread last night tryin to find out but just couldn't wait. After i ordered the shocks from there i found another place atvpartsdepot.com that have them for 139.50 free shipping. I got my z400's off ebay for like $50 though. But every place i looked had the same part number for the 450 foreman and 500 vinson shocks so i'm gonna assume they're the same so u may can check on ebay for them shocks to save some $.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well time for a lil' update i guess. Everything is installed and working almost as hoped. The list was
Vinson front shocks on front, Z400 Front shocks on rear
K&N
HMF Pipe
135 Main Jet, and clipped the spring.

First with the shocks, fronts were a breeze putting on, rears were a lil' more difficult, just a few extra minutes of drilling the bushing and stuff, no biggie. The front shocks i got, one of them works fine, but the other i can't get to stiffen up AT ALL and it bottoms the shock out REALLY easy on that side, and it tends to happen a lot now (explained in 3rd part).

Next i installed my HMF pipe and k&n, pretty simple ya know, bolt on be done. I didn't test it because u KNOW it was running extremely lean like that. Well i have NO experience at all with carburators or any type of fuel injection for that matter. But with the knowledge of this website i was able to do it. It started out awful, the 4 bolts on the bottom WILL strip INCREDIBLEY easy, so i just got some vice grips, locked em down and was able to break em free where i then made a deep groove for a flat blad screwdriver to make it easier for the next go arounds. After that part i quickly changed the main jet but when putting bowl back on it felt kinda funny but didn't think much about it, i then took the top off and took the spring and made a quick clip, only cutting about a half inch off, if that. Threw it back on. Well i went to fire it up, wouldn't crank, put choke all the way on, held gas all the way in and it fired, but that's the only way it would run and gas was coming out pretty quickly. So i took the bottom bowl back off and there layed the lil' white floats, an inch long rod and some needle thing, it apparently all fell out as i was putting it back on, don't know how. So i figured out how everything went back, through it back in and started it back up, no leaks, just a rich smelling exhaust at idle, so i took the plug out where mixture screw is, rigged up a small screw driver and set it where it should be.
The test- WOW!!!! When i first put the 26's on the eiger, i knew i had lost some power and i wasn't too happy with it, but now it's really unreal the difference. If the atv is rolling back just a little i can give it gas and a good tug on the handlebars and lean back and it'll pull the front tires as high as i need them to go and carry them as long as i can keep it balanced. MUCH MORE POWER! It wouldn't come close to doing that with stock tires on it. But the coming down part is what really sucks, it bottoms that one shock out and it just really bothers me. You probably won't have that problem, i just got a bad shock.

Well that's my update, if u plan on doing this and need any pointers or have any questions feel free to PM me. And thanx to everybody that helped me!!!