Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kingquad 700 battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingquad 700 battery issues

Hi here from Iceland.

My friend had this same problem with his 07' 700KQ. Battery dead after 1-2 months of no use. So he phoned the Suzuki dealer here in Iceland, and they just told him to come to the shop and they gave him a new ignition. They told him that even when the atv is switched off some broken ignitions drain the battery. After he changed the ignition he crashed the atv shortly after (always no time to fix it hehe), so it hasn't been in use for about 2 months now, but it turns on like it should do and battery is fine. So the old ignition was the problem.

Well hope it helps!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I also have the 700 , 2005 and even with the battery maintance charger the battery dies shortly after disconnection. This is my third battery. Thought was the wench was draining the battery, not to be. Or perhaps the battery was junk before i un-hooked the winch... Called the dealer who replaced the original because it was listed as defective; he suggested to bring the machine to be test for draw down.. Any suggestion would be appreciated.. danol

Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 07 700 and i am havin battery issues as well. i am on my third battery. i have called the dealership and they say it may be the charing system. i checked that and told them that it was workin fine. then they tell me well we dont know wat it is then. it gets drained once i shut it off. does anyone know wat is the cause of this??? i am goin to put a disconnect switch in the positive battery cable to cut off all power. just take the seat off and flip the switch and the power should be killed. has anyone heard of a possible recall on the issue

Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Same problem with my 06 king quad. I have always kept it in my warm garage. I'm on the 3rd battery. My dealer had said it takes 12-15 minutes to recharge the battery after you start it. He said the warranty will not cover batteries, and reply to that??? My issue is the with fuel injection, even pull starting it on a really dead battery, well lets just say it won't even run because of all the juice needed with the fuel injection. If its that dead pull starting it won't do a damn thing. Poor set up...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

My Brother in law has a 2007 KQ700 and I prepping it so he can sell it.. his knees are shot and he is getting knee replacement in September. He can't even ride it...

I am about to buy battery #3 and a battery tender! Afterall this KQ700 is for sale! (In New Hampshire/Northern Mass)

Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cold Weather left me stranded

I have a 06' 700 KQ and I live in Minnesota. If I know I bought a wheeler that I had to plug in every time I was done using it I would have bought an electric gulf cart. The problem is that my girlfriend takes it to get the mail everyday (about 1/2 mile) and the battery never recovers from the draw of the start. This combined with the KQ battery draw issues when it’s not running makes for an unreliable machine. The reason I bought one with EFI is because I need reliability!

The battery was new in the fall and it still left me stranded out on the lake. The battery was full charged when I went out ice fishing but after it being well below 0 for about 14 hours she wouldn't start. It just turned over slow but the EFI would fire. In the past I was able to rope start it but not this time too cold couldn't even budge the rope. Anyone else have problems starting the KQ 700 in the cold? A battery tender is not an option when you’re out on the lake.

I ended up strapping one of my jetski batteries to the rack and wired it up in parallel with the stock battery. This worked great if you didn't mind having a battery strapped to your rack. I never even used the tender for the rest of the winter. There must be others that live in cold weather with these KQ that have the same problems. What is the fix? Is there a better battery? I am working on making a custom battery box that will mount where the rear storage is/was (I never put anything in there anyway) so I will permanently have two batters on board. I was hoping it wouldn’t come down to this but I see no other way. Does anyone else have a solution? Please let me know. I looked for better batteries but was unsuccessful. The stock battery says it has a bunch of CCA's but I assure you that when you need them they aren't there.

I was also thinking about putting the battery in front of the radiator since I only really need it in the winter. Anybody have any better ideas?

Love the machine but hate the electrical system.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

The fix to the battery issue is mostly the weak output of the regulator from Suzuki... I did the regulator mod on my brother in laws quad and before I did it the battery would only get about 13.05 volts @ 5000 rpm which is BULLS##T... After I did the Mod I was getting 14.45-14.55 volts! Head on over to NYROC -- click this link

Nyroc's ATV info website

It is an EASY mod if you have any electrical wiring knowledge.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Isn't that a bit harsh on the gel cell?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Flybaby79
Isn't that a bit harsh on the gel cell?
Nah... My Yamaha quad puts ouf 14.5~14.6v and it has a Yuasa AGM as well... as far as I am concerned only putting 13.05 into it is Hurting it! It is not putting enough voltage TO charge it..

So no, not harsh :-)

Also if you do have the need to buy a new battery -- Tri State Battery Online Catalog Rocks! I got the Yuasa AGM from them for $80 Shipped!

Quick Reply: Kingquad 700 battery issues