Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kingquad 700 battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingquad 700 battery issues

I have my Kingquad at our vacation home and only ride it every month or so. Everytime I go to use it, the battery is dead. The dealer claims that it is a problem on the 06' models and has no clue how to fix it. He claims Suzuki is aware of this problem, which is supposed to be "dashboard related". I guees the speedometer etc. is SLOWLY draining the battery and nobody knows how to fix this.....Anybody run into this and fix it? I am now running a battery tender and seems to be OK, but a bit of a hassel. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Use it or lose it !I own a 2005 King Quad and have the same problem.The battery people tell me the stock 20 amp YUASA battery has more cranking amps and less reserve .The reserve is being drained daily by our onboard memory systems thus killing our batteries.I guess we have three choices at this point either ride it more, keep it pluged in or replace the battery with a ptx16bs like I am doing this week.The battery cost $56.oo from a Standard Battery and has less cranking and more reserve.My original battery is not holding a charge (never did) even on the bench it tests 12.85 soon after charging and drops to 12.60 in a few days and is below 12.00 v in a week.I would like to replace it with an AGM glass matt battery but the battery compartment will not accommodate it.Good luck!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Surelock, Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a Suzuki thing to me. Let me know how your new battery works out. I may go that route if it works...Thanks again..........No matter what, I love that Kingquad!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like zuki, has a problem with the electrical system design, you could disconnect the battery after every ride, you would have to reset the clock after every ride though. I have a budddy who owns a kingquad and his connections were loose from the dealer.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Go to Nyrocatv.com forums, then to the KQ section and type in a search for battery. You will have a wealth of information to read from.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

I am a tech and we have the same problems at our shop, sure is furstrating. So I do feel for all of you out there. I did resently attend a 1 day schooling, they said that they are looking into the problem, may or may not fix it.

The 700 king quad have too much draw on them. Seems to be coming from the IAC valve on the throttle body, it gets battery voltage all the time. So the draw is around 7 mill amps. unplugg around 2 mill amps.

Go buy a battery tender (900ma) and plug it in, pretty much only cure at this time, or plug your main fuse.

Pass this on to which ever site you wish

Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Big Country and Cluby, thanks for the replies. Big Country, excellant and informative site. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

hello,

i have an 05, im on 4 batteries, an ecu, and 2 rectifiers now--and it wont charge. I went through the attorney general last year after suzuki told me to disconnect the battery when I was done--I suggested to the mediator that he do that with his new car when he gets to work and see how he feels about it. I am currently dealing with a mediation manager at suzuki, and have found an attorney that is willing to look into a class action suit since there are so many KQ owners with this issue. suzuki came out with a silent recall for a new ecu that uses less power with the key off--a bandaid if you will, but it's no solution. any other kq owners feel free to contact me--its about time for suzuki to make it right for all those missing out on rides after paying 7k+ for these unreliable machines

Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

My Local Dealer mentioned this problem to me. As he tells the tale, the clock circuit draws power constantly - not much - but as described when you get someone who doesn't use their machine regularly (weekly) it drains the battery.

He has tried all sorts of things - none of which worked. It seems this circuit is buried very deep in the system and it cannot be turned off.

No answers forthcoming from Suzuki.

The current solution is as mentioned - buy a battery tender. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

mine is the same way and i ride it about 1 hr aweek thought it was just me suzuki said that the batts only last a year and they want 95 bucks for one every year my *** i will keep pull starting it till the rope brakes

Quick Reply: Kingquad 700 battery issues