Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad air filtration /smoking update?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad air filtration /smoking update?

Any updates on the 2005 or later Kings with substandard factory air filtration causing premature engine failure ,smoking or any other related issues?I own a 21 hp Sears riding mower powered by an ohv Briggs and after four years I am still running the same factory air filter and no dirt has gotten past it and today after sitting outside all winter it started without a battery tender or jump.I spent $1500.00 on it and I wish I could say the same for my $7500.00 Japanese saddle horse,dead battery and all! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Things have changed a lot , like anything new it takes sometime to get the bugs out, I can garuntee that your lawn mower doesn't have the h.p. speed endurance, or capabilities of your KQ. Besides, how long do you think that Briggs engine has been out for. They are finding out also that the KQ has received a batch of bad batteries on some 06 models, but also another problem is that there is a sensor that draws small power even when the key is out of the ignition, I beleive the manual says that for long periods of storage, to unhook the battery or use a battery tender (recommended for all batteries) or start bike and let it run every so often, just simple maintenence on a computer controlled fuel injected vehicle.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with most of what you had to say, however the horizontal OHV V twin Briggs has had the heck run out of it the past four years mowing in dry dusty hilly areas as well as pulling a trailer with dirt hay or whatever and after sitting outside all winter started after a few tries on the battery that came with it.That was a new engine design for Briggs and the air filter has not let any dirt past it.Don't get me wrong I like the King Quad but if it sits in my shop for a couple of weeks I think it should start on its own like everything else I own. In my opinion the battery compartment is too small to accomodate a battery that can satisfy the cold cranking and the gradual daily system drain the machine demands.Also if the factory air filter is allowing dirt either through or around it Suzuki should recall and repair the problem.Anyway thanks for the reply.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

There are several posts on your issues on nyrocatv, You are right this is not a perfect bike much more complex than any lownmower or for most of the other comparable atv's out there. That site is really good on the topics that you describe with lots of tech tips to bring the beast to life, check it out.