Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Is this a carb problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a carb problem?

I left my Eiger sit for a while and didn't take the proper precautions and the air box flooded with gas. I cleaned that out and put on a new air filter. I then drained some gas from the carb and it seemed clean so I put everything back together and started it up. It ran fine for a while but when I parked it and let it run for a while it shut off again. I kept starting it back up and stupidly on my part, I managed to flood the airbox very slightly AGAIN. So I'll be cleaning it out one more time.
But anyways, does that sound like a carb issue or could I have possibly not started it correctly? I put the choke on, started it, let it run a few seconds, slowly lowered the choke about halfway and let it run a couple minutes before pulling it out. Then I slowly started driving it around for maybe 5 minutes. So does this sound like a clogged carb or did I not allow sufficient warm up and just ended up flooding it again? I'm no ATV expert so I very could have done something stupid I wasn't supposed to. If anyone needs more specifics on anything to help just ask and I'll let you know.
Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you stand it on the back tires at all? or it did this while being stored flat?

Old 03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stored it flat on all four tires

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If the air box is getting raw gas in it, then something is wrong.
Does the gas enter the air box while just sitting? If so the needle and seat for the flot are probably being hung up and leaking. Bad news is, if the air box is filling, then probably the crank case is too. Does the oil in the crankcase smell like gas? Is the oil level rising?
If the air box gets gas in it from running...the intake valve is too tight.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm assuming that gas was leaking in the entire time it was sitting. The air box was about half full when I dumped it. I haven't checked anything with the oil yet. I was planning on changing the oil and filter when I get another quart of oil.
Would it be a good idea to just completely drain the oil and gas right now, take off the carb and thoroughly clean it and check it to make sure everything is positioned correctly and then refill with all new oil and gas and see how it goes?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yep, and I would also check the valve clearance too, especially the intake valve.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

if you turn the gas off on the petcock would it stop it from leaking into the airbox? if so its definatly a carb problem

Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok well I drained the carb and entire gas tank. I unattached the carb from the the two main tubes(dont know what they are called: one went to the airbox, the other to the engine), opened the throttle, sprayed lots of carb cleaner in there and drained it out. I did the same for the hole that the fuel is injected into by the petcock. I also sprayed some into any tubes going into the carb as well. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm lost.
The only other thing I haven't looked into is what you mentioned about the valve clearance. How do I do this? You also said if the gas is leaking when the engine is running that the intake valve is too tight. How can I fix that if its the problem? I want to look into every possible solution before I put the panels back on.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Z28guy
Ok well I drained the carb and entire gas tank. I unattached the carb from the the two main tubes(dont know what they are called: one went to the airbox, the other to the engine), opened the throttle, sprayed lots of carb cleaner in there and drained it out. I did the same for the hole that the fuel is injected into by the petcock. I also sprayed some into any tubes going into the carb as well. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm lost.
The only other thing I haven't looked into is what you mentioned about the valve clearance. How do I do this? You also said if the gas is leaking when the engine is running that the intake valve is too tight. How can I fix that if its the problem? I want to look into every possible solution before I put the panels back on.
Well, thats not quite what i said. I was saying if the gas is being spit back into the airbox, while the motor is running, then the intake is too tight, and not completely closeing, and the compresion gases are flowing out the carb, causing the gas to go out into the filter.
My guess, is the float needle and seat have crud on them, but the float bowl, needs to be removed, to clean and inspect them.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will I need to remove the carb completely to remove and clean the float bowl? If so, I have a little problem because the one screw holding the throttle cable to the carb will not budge and I ended up eating out most of the grip on the head. I know where the float bowl is and it looks like I might be able to remove it without taking the whole carb out.

Quick Reply: Is this a carb problem?