Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Oil changing an '06 Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil changing an '06 Eiger

Howdy gang! First post there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I just bought an '06 Eiger 4X4 a couple days ago and have some Qs about maintenance. When do you suggest my first oil change and what brand/weight oil do you use?
I realize that this is probably a hot-button issue and I'm likely going to get a hundred different answers, but I'm starting from scratch here so I need to hear the options.

The manual doesn't seen to do a very good job of pointing out where things are on the bike. It shows the drain plug, but not where it's located and how to get to it. Do I have to take the plastic skid plate off underneath?

Sorry for the horribly "newbie" questions, but this is my first ATV and I don't really know anybody else to ask. Thanks so much! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

Good Question I bought an 07 Eiger. The manual says 06.. I haven't changed the oil yet either.. I was looking at the filter I am guessing we have to take the plastics off.. When you figure it out let me know.. So I am not the one getting aggravated [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good luck I am not changing mine for a while.. I wont ride it till September again right now its Harley Season

Old 04-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right on, Bro. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hopefully someone will chime in and fill us newbies in on how to do it. I change the oil in my truck all the time, but this is a new animal altogether. LOL

I think my plan is just to use Suzuki 4-cycle motorcycle 10W-40 oil for the first few times, then switch to a synthetic of some kind. Sound good? Anyone?...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

when changing the oil, the first thing to do is remove the left inner fender(left sitting on the bike) Next remove the filler cap, located by your right heel sitting on the bike. There is a little square cover you have to remove first. Next, locate the drain plug under the bike. It's the one located in the cutout on the skid plate. just look, you should have no problem locating it. Drain the oil for a while, until it slows to a drop every few seconds. Then reach in behind the left front wheel, and locate the oil filter. With a good grip you should be able to remove it by hand. If it's stubborn and your hand keeps slipping, wrap the filter in a bit of sandpaper, rough side on the filter. It's gonna be messy, so keep a large rag handy to catch the oil that runs out of the filter. When the oil is finished draining, take your new filter and smear some new oil around the rubber O ring, then re-install it, turning until snug, then just give a little tightening, not too much at all. Then replace your drain plug. It's a good idea to replace the crush washer every couple of oil changes. To fill with oil, you will need a funnel to do it properly. Fill through the filler hole, approx 3.5 litres of oil, put the cap back on, and start the bike for a few minutes. Shut off, let the oil settle for a few minutes, then check the level, repeating these steps until the level is right. To check the level, put the filler cap/dipstick back in, but DO NOT thread it in place, just lay it in place. Then replace the inner fender and the cover by your heel.
If your bike is new, then you should have a dealer service it the first time(not sure of the recommended mileage when the check is needed) so they can check for valve clearance. Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, and I use Suzuki oil, 10w40.worked good so for.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jowils, thank you for the guidance! Definitely appreciate that. I wonder if I'll need to ramp the bike to get the oil changed or if I can do it on the ground?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

on the ground is fine. you just need o reach in under to take out the drain plug. there is lots of room.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

You said have a dealer check for valve clearence. I know for the first service it needs to be checked, but does it have to be done again and if so how often?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Hey thanks for the step by step directions.. I will use the suzuki for a few hundred miles then I will switch to Rotella 5w40 synthetic....

Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yup, I just got home and found all the important parts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I didn't get all the way down there to check the oilpan plug, but I found where it is.....what size socket is it on the Eiger?

I think I'll be overly cautious and give it its first change at 100 miles. That's probably unnecessary, but it's only $20 or so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Oil changing an '06 Eiger