Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger will not idle

My 02 Eiger will not idle most of the time unless I leave the chock on.
It all started this past weekend while out riding at an ATV Park. It will even dies some times after running it and release the throttle.
I was already planning on changing out the main jet on the carburetor and had the new one already. So I have already removed carb. (1 screw would not come out) and removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the slow jet, starter jet, Pilot screw(mixture screw), and replaced the main jet to an 130. Shorten the spring on top of carb. Added fuel fiter also. After I did all of this and reinstalled the carburetor I then did not have any spark!!! I then thought I had a bad ignition coil. So I put my 02 Eiger?s coil in my 05Eiger and it worked. So I reinstalled the ignition coil back in the 02 and then I had spark?????
So after making adjustments to the mixture screw and throttle stop, it now runs good except that it still will not idle most of the time (it dies) without the choke on all the way. The mixture screw is at 2 turns. I tried 1 ? but it runs better at 2 turns.

Any idea?s
Scott

Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

back it out three and increase the thottle stop
Clark

Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer

does any smoke come out at all?

Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

Try emptying the bowl reserve on the carb by holding it down to the floor for a ways.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

Frotrk: back it out three and increase the thottle stop

Do you mean to back out the mixture screw a total of 3 turns?
I thought about trying to back it out more and up to a total of 4 turns to see what happens. One question, is the adjustment of the mixture screw done when eng is cold or at least it?s final adjustments?

Bradr: does any smoke come out at all?

Did not notice smoke but will check , I will also check the new spark plug I put in to see if it is black.

Eagles: Try emptying the bowl reserve on the carb by holding it down to the floor for a ways.
??? I had the carb off and cleaned all the jets. The reserve would be empitied , right?? Also do you mean to give it full throttle for a while? I do have to give it full throttle to get it to start sometimes..

I will try to turn the mixture screw out some tomorrow, check smoke and spark plug, and run it at full throttle for a little while and see what happens.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

I adjusted the mixture screw out more and increased throttle stop. It is not smoking at all.

I got it idling almost all the time now. There is a ?fine line? for the adjustment of the throttle stop. If to much it will not idle low enough to put into gear and if to low it will die.
It may need some more adjustments. I will see how it starts ?cold? tomorrow. I look up some old threads state that it should start with the choke for 1-2 minutes at most.

I notice there was no difference in the take off response after cutting ? inch off of the spring on top of carb. I think my belt may be worn. I bought my 02 only 1 month ago so I do not know much about the past of the bike.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Is your vent hose pinched, mine was at one point and would not run unless it was also choked.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

Update: It still is not running right. most of the time it just sits in the barn. It will just die from time to time while idling.
I'm just about ready to take it in to dealer to have them check it out. But before I do I plan to check some more things out. (valve gap, compression, look at stator, maybe tare down the carb a 3 or 4th time). I do know this 2002 also just not have the power that my 2005 has even with the bigger main jet on the 2002.

This morning I pull the airfilter and it had a heavy smell of gas. No gas in airbox. This afternoon I pull the plug and it was WHITE. I had a neighbor come over and he agreed that there is a gas smell in airbox(running rich) and the plug is white(running lean). There is also no smell of gas in exhust or black smoke. I now have the pilot screw out about 4 turns (the pilot screw does not seem to do anything). I covered the air inlet with my hand and it did not increase RPM just die. When it dies while idling it just dies and does not spit or spudder (does not even try to keep running). To me it seems like it losses spark or something other then a fuel isssue. I even pull the vent hose off of carb and it still dies (NOT hose for gas tank). The hose for the gas tank is not pinched and there is gas flow through the inline filter that I put on. It is also hard to start most of the time, with or without choke.
How can it seam to run rich and lean at the same time?
Please help! I will not have time to work on it until this weekend. Next 3 days I have work long hours.

Scott.