Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 Quadsport Carburetor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Quadsport Carburetor Issues

I just got this Quadsport last year and I've been having problems with the carburetor since the day I bought it. My main question is this...What is the bore size on the stock carb, 28mm? I was thinking of buying a replacement, but I'm not sure that will fix my problem.

The main thing that I notice with it is that it will start from cold usually pretty easily, but after riding about 15 minutes, if you kill it or shut it off, it will most likely not start up again. I'm not sure if it's flooding out or what. Also when it was running most recently, the idle seemed fine, but if I hit the throttle and let off it would sputter out almost right away. I could adjust the idle up a little higher and it seems to at least stay running, but bogs down immediately. Is this probably too much gas?

I've cleaned the carb numerous times (I'm a pro at taking the thing apart and putting it together again). I've also ordered the rebuild kit, but nothing seems to help. It seems like the round-slide gets stuck in the carb sometimes, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try to fix this problem? Is it worth fixing, should I just buy a new carb? If so, any recommendations would be great.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

stock 230 carbs in my opinion are junk!!!!!! just picked up a 28mm from a kids quad online and ill say it runs much better no more off idle stumble

Old 06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info..I've noticed the more I've read that everyone seems to agree these carbs suck. I actually just purchased a new one, so hopefully I won't run into any more of these kind of problems.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

hopefully its not the original style

Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

HELP! OK, I bought a brand new carb and it didn't work at all, in fact it doesn't even appear to be compatible. Here's the carb I purchased.

Mikuni 28mm Carb

There are a couple of problems with this. 1 is the size, it's overall longer than my old carb, but I jammed it in there and made it work anyway. #2, the jetting is incorrect, My jets and the one on this carb are not compatible with each other. The main jet fits in the same thread, but the one on my old carb is shorter than this one by a half an inch or so. Not sure if that will throw things off or not. #3, pilot jet is different also, this cannot be substituted, I'd need a new jet. #4, there's a hookup missing. On my old carb the main fuel line hooks in, and then there is a black hose hooking into the top somewhere, not sure what it's for or if it's needed at all.

So basically I think I wasted $50, but that's OK. Does anyone have any advice for either making this one work, making my old carb work, or what carb I SHOULD by next time? Thanks