Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger Compression Check

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger Compression Check

I took a reading of 118 P.S.I. for compression. The manual states it standard is 142 P.S.I. How low is to low?

It is hard to start and will not stay running at idle. It also just don't have the power that my other Eiger has.

The spark plug says it is running lean (white) but I smell gas in inlet. I have the idle screw between 3-4 turns out. I also have cleaned the carb twice. Just check valve clearance and they are right on. This ATV also is not pulling in the air like my other Eiger.

Please help

Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

How many miles do you have on it. Is it smoking? 118 psi is 17% off spec. I would think no more than 10% would be ok. If its not smoking you may want to look at the compression release on the cam. I am pretty sure the Eiger's have one by looking at the microfiche. As far as the white plug and running lean the release could be causing that also. I have also heard of the Eigers valve seats and guides wearing out due to excessive heat.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

camozuki, thanks for the reply. It was not smoking.
I did the compression check wrong. I did not hold the throttle wide open. It actully is about 138 P.S.I. so it is good. I also called a few dealers and they said you sould not notice and problems with as low as 120 P.S.I. One told me to a pressure test to see where it was leaking, so I did and only found very little coming back through the intake valves, had taken carb off and could feel very little air coming out intake. So with the new information I took the carb apart again. I found the I only had the idle screw out 2 3/4 turns. cleaned carb, adjusted float leavel, set idle screw at 3 turns. ran about the same. moved idle screw to 3 1/2 and then to 4. It was now running good and not dieing. moved it to 4 1/4 turns and it starts good and running good even at low idle. I did not want to move the idle screw out so far because most people say only to move it out 3 turns max. (when I had the carb out I notice that the idle screw was still sticking out in intake so I should to notice a difference, at about 5 turns the idle screw was flush with side of intake). So I still have to put everything back together brackets and plactics and test drive, plus put in new plug to see if it is white or black. (lean or rich)

Scott
P.S. I only found one outer person on old post that moved his idle screw out more then 3 and his was 4 1/2 turns.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Range Rover

If you have not added any mods to the bike, like a pipe, snorkel, and such, the idle screw should be set at around 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 turns out unless you are at higher elevations then you would want it less than that. Sounds like you have some trash somewhere in the pilot circuit still. I had a Big Bear that did the same thing, found a pine needle or something in one of the pilot passages. If you are over 3 turns out on a modded bike you would want to increase the size of the pilot so you could get the mixture screw within range.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

I rejeted the main jet up to 130. most people say they have to turn down the pilot screw when they do this. But let may say this, it started acting up big time BERFORE I rejeted it. So while cleaning out the carb the first time I added a bigger main jet, witch I had planned for and even ordered the jets before it started acting up. I have cleaned the carb 3 times now. THis last time I blew shop air in both ways in the passages, so if something is in there it is stuck good. So I should go up on the pilot (starter) jet? If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong with going more then 3 turns out? The main jet is the only mod that I have done and do not know of any others that have been done. (everything else seems stock)

Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

As far as going over 3 turns out, it may be ok, but I have learned that it is much easier to just go larger on the pilot so you still have some adjustment on the mixture screw. I believe on the Eiger they call the starter/choke circuit, a main jet 55 and the pilot on them is a 38. There is no reason to rejet unless you have added mods, allowing more air through the engine, or changed elevations or temperature climates. There are problems somewhere else. Can you take the entire carb off of your other Eiger and try it on the one you are having problems with?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

Today I started it up just fine but then it would not idle again. I adjusted the idle screw out to 4 1/2 turn now, I also adjusted the throttle stop. It run better but will still die from time to time. I'm starting to think there is still something in the pilot passageway. My neighbor also thought I might want to try to swapp carb on the Eigers and see what happens. I might end up doing this. But I'm done messing with it for 2 weeks. I'll be out of town on family vacation.
camozuki thanks for your help!