Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

05 Vinson smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Vinson smoking

My Vinson had a dirty carb and it caused gas to get in the oil. After cleaning the carb and changing the oil it smokes (white) after it gets warmed up. Could this be because there is still a gas / oil mix in the engine? And will it do damage if I run it?

Thanks,
wolf3080

Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

White smoke is usually a sign of water(coolant) getting in the cylinder.
Are you loosing coolant in the radiator ?

Old 09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not that I've noticed but I haven't really checked too good either. I haven't ran it because I was afraid that I might do a lot of damage by doing so. How easy it that to fix? Can I just put some aluminum coolant repair in the radiator to see if that fixes the problem? Or will I have to go deeper?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

If it were me I would just run it some and keep a close check on the coolant level and also keep an eye on the oil to make sure it is not getting milky looking. (A sign of water in it)
If that is the problem some aluminum coolant repair might help, but even if it does it is just a band-aid and not really a fix. I have always been reluctant to use it because it might stop something up it is not supposed to. I dont believe it would hurt anything to run it enough to find out.
The most common things that cause it is a blown head gasket or a cracked head.
But it could always be something simple like a lot of condensation in the muffler from it sitting, or a recent wash.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

I'm calling B.S. Vinson's have vacuum operated fuel valves, meaning the engine has to be running to pull gas through the valve and into the carb unless you had it on the prime position. Having it in the prime position will let gas flow freely to the carb and if the float is stuck open, trash under the needle, you could get fuel in your oil that way.
Anyhow, if it is smoking blue/white you have probably ruined the rings and or scarred the piston and or cylinder.

Welcome to the site.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had 4 people actually give me an answer on this problem. 2 said it was coolant, 1 said it was a scarred piston / cylinder, and the last said that that probably wasn't the case. So I guess I'm just gonna have to tear into it to find out if I did anything to the piston or cylinder. I don't want to run it if that is the case. and if it is not the piston or cylinder then I guess I'll replace the head gasket and see what happens. If that doesn't solve it then I'll replace the head. If that doesn't solve it I'm taking it to a professional.