Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

will carb cleaner make your head pipe glow

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will carb cleaner make your head pipe glow

heres the deal.....i pulled the carb out partially to take the jets out and clean them i also sprayed some carb cleaner all in and out of the carb..........i did not blow it out with compressed air because i was in a hurry.......another story.....but i put it all back together got it started .......gave it a few revs....a couple of minutes later i noticed the head pipe was glowing orange.........so my question is .........could carb cleaner cause this.............if not .....would running lean or running rich cause this.......i never had a problem with running rich or lean berfore this all happened...........i also can not lower the idle with the idle screw.....i can increase it but it wont lower...........or could this be from a malfunctioning choke............................................. ....................sorry for all the question but im searching for any help of any kind

Old 09-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No, carb cleaner won't cause your pipe to glow red.
Yes, a lean condition will.

You have an air leak problem (if your carb cable it not too tight) if you can't lower your idle. To find it take some carb cleaner and spray it around the carb and boot while the quad is running.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

You always want to make sure everything went back where it should have (didn't mix up the jets). Also when securing everything make sure you have no vacuum leaks because you forgot to tighten the boot clamps on both sides and you didn't leave a vacuum hose or engine vent hose off. Any of these will cause you engine to run lean. To verify clean your spark plug and then ride it for 5 minutes and chack the burn color on the plug which should be dark toast bread color brown, not black , not grayish white. If you want to keep your jets clean in the future just add a little carb or injector cleaner to every other tank full, about 1 once per gallon, not the whole bottle.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the insight...........i was told that it would cause this but i was not sure
what do you mean by carb cable............i think my choke cable is screwed up because i used to have to choke it to get it started but now i dont.........it fires right up without the choke and no throttle.......i dont know what is going on but heres what ive got as far as aftermarket and hop ups

white brothers e-series slip on.............no air box lid.......165 main jet.....stock pilot and stock needle.........these are the specs straight from white brothers......

would the spark plug gap cause this because i had someone else gap it while i was removing the carb.........maybe he got it wrong
thanks again for the help

Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>what do you mean by carb cable</end quote></div>
What I ment was throttle cable. If it was too tight it would hang the slid open and the idle would not drop down to where it needs to be.

Just because the pipe is glowing red does not mean it's lean. It's my guess that because you have idle problems and the pipe is glowing red that you have an air leak. The only way you can have a high idle is if the engine is getting too much air. If you have to choke it, that bolsters the case.

As far as jetting for your pipe. This is only a starting point. You have to dial it in with plug chops or oxygen sensors.

No the plug gap would not do this.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys..........first i just want to say thank you for all of the help.....i really appreciate it.....i was lost and some of the things you mentioned stuck out and led to the fix. I took it all apart again and found that my throttle cable was too tight........(my fault....i have tinkering issues).......i noticed that my air filter was not properly seated......(not sure if this would be a cause).....but i didnt come across any air leaks as far as hoses or the boot and clamps. I did by the way forget to turn the fuel screw back out when i put it back together the first time. After i corrected this and put it all back together....it runs perfect......starts right up with no throttle........plug looks great...nice dark brown color.....the idle is fully adjustable again. My throttle response is a little off compared to what it used to be but i am very pleased with it the way it is. I am so relieved that it was not anything serious. I really had no business messing with it but i feel like im pretty mechanically inclined and i really just wanted to learn some things on my own. Saves me money from the shop. Without your expertise i probably wouldve ended up there though. Thanks again........I just need to pay more attention to what im doing and not be in such a hurry to ride.......lol.......i learned my lesson.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Good deal!!!!!! Glad you got it going.............and without a shop preforming the work.
Now you have more money for mods!!!
For the record, the fuel screw was the problem with the red pipe.
Again, good going for correcting your problem.