Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kingquad flooded

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingquad flooded

I went riding yesterday with my wife ,she rode the Suzuki. She went into a huge mudhole and highsided, the machine flipped onto the throttle side. It wasn't under the water very long. It took a while to get started, it was probally flooded. It backed right out of the mud and did not seem to be a problem. I was going to take it to the river to wash it off and that is when I noticed it was very sluggish and had bad throttle lag. I checked the oil and it was full of water. We were done after that, so I attempted to drive it back to the truck. All was good until I had to slow down and it stalled, it would not start back up. Finally it started several times but as soon as I shifted into high it died again every time. This went on for several minutes. Also the trans seemed to be slipping. I finally got it started and switched into low quickly and got it back to the truck driving in Low gear. Sorry long post but I wanted to mention everything. Any help would be appreciated. Also I flushed the oil today and changed the filter. I went thru almost 15 quarts until it was clear.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kingquad flooded

Not gonna help now, but you should have let it sit for a half hour, then drained the water from the crank case (the water will settle below the oil and you can drain until most of the water is gone without losing the oil), you also could have drained the belt/clutch housing. If you haven't done so already, I'd run it for a few minutes and then change the oil again. If the oil is at all milky looking after riding, there is still water in it. How long did you ride the quad with the water in it? Does it run fine now? I'd also check the differentials and drain the float bowl.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kingquad flooded

I rode it back to the truck, probally 10-15 minutes. I didn't drain anything but the oil. I took it to the dealer today and let them know about the stalling and trans slipping. I am getting thing's looked at under warranty, I am also going to get a full service done with another oil change and differential change. I didn't mention anything about the water.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kingquad flooded

If they say anything about water, just tell them that you only went through some shallow creeks. They will not cover a dunking under warranty. Good move changing the oil before bringing it to them.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kingquad flooded

I did that to my Honda Foreman. I got it home and drained the oil then I put some motor flush in it. I ran the bike with the motor flush for 15 mins I think? What ever the bottle said, Drained it and changed the oil. Runs like a Champ! Thats been a good 2 years now and I had no problems at all. I would change and clean everything you can. Change air filter Diff oil Everything!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default Kingquad flooded

I recently had mine completly submerged and only for about 5 min til it got pulled out. the oil was full of water, air filter was also saturated. I shut it off before going into the throttle body. I didnt even attemp to start it and just towed it the 10 miles back home. It only takes about 10 or so minutes depending on how much water was in it to do some damage. It actually took 7 oil changes to get it all out, rediculous, but cheaper than new engine. also changed the other liquids and oils.