Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

anyone still stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone still stock?

Just curious if anyone was still running the stock setup anymore.....

I want to do some mods, but I'm kind of proud of the fact my z400 has remained totally stock longer than anyone I know. I mean outside of grips and hand-guards my machine is totally stock right down to the spark plug..... I mean how many '05 z400s out there still have the stock plug?

I can tell the plug is getting tired a little, and I'm going to change it this winter when I tear everything apart for inspection. But I still don't think I want to do any mods. I almost bought a HMF pipe but then decided against it since mine still has life left.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't gone crazy on my Z, just pipe, airbox, jetting and tires. Thinking of upgrading the suspension next.
FWIW, the HMF made a world of difference on the 03, I would imagine it would do the same to your 05.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

The Only thing that I have done to my KQ 450 is add the hand warmers, Change the Air Filter and put a box on the back.

WHY MESS WITH PERFECTION?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

Being totally stock is not indicative of using old worn parts. You should have changed that spark plug already because the maintenance sked required it, just like the oils and filters. Stock just means that you have kept the bike to manufacture specifications and have replaced worn parts with OEM or original equipment manufactured. Now once you spend $800 to install a jet kit, chop holes in the air box, and install a noisy pipe, you know circumventing those MIT engineers that sped 3-5 years in research and development to design your quad properly, then you will be a proud owner of a quad that is out of spec.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

CWO? What are you talking about. The engineers that design the Japanese machines are concerned with legal issues (too loud - too fast - to specific to certain riding conditions) to say stock is best for any paticular riding is stupid. Specializing your machine for your own needs is usually a good idea unless you use your machine in many different applications. If stock was best for MX why do all of the competitive machines run so many aftermarket parts? If you run in the sand would it be best to keep the stock tires. I do not think so?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CWO4GUNNER

Being totally stock is not indicative of using old worn parts. You should have changed that spark plug already because the maintenance sked required it, just like the oils and filters. Stock just means that you have kept the bike to manufacture specifications and have replaced worn parts with OEM or original equipment manufactured. Now once you spend $800 to install a jet kit, chop holes in the air box, and install a noisy pipe, you know circumventing those MIT engineers that sped 3-5 years in research and development to design your quad properly, then you will be a proud owner of a quad that is out of spec.</end quote></div>

Well what the "engineers" say about maintenance and was is realistic are often two different things. None of the stuff on my machine is worn out as you seem to have taken away from what I said.

I didn't chance the plug, because it was not bad. It is still throwing a timely spark the proper distance and power.

I am going to change it, this winter when I tear the machine apart to inspect those parts that you are worried about. I understand that running worn parts is bad, and I was not talking about worn parts. I was talking about running a stock set-up.

Manual recommendations are often bull-crap. They are generalized and the schedules uniform for the most part. According to my manual I should adjust my valves every 6-mos too, but you know what, they have not been touched and are 100% in specs. Just like the spark plug was not worn, the valves are fine....

Oil and air filters are things that get dirty, and need to be changed/cleaned or they will ruin something. I don't see why you seem to thing running a stock exhaust because it still has packing, or a plug because is still working, is somehow bad.....

BTW I'm not saying I won't mod my z400, I was just curious if anyone out there was still running stock since everyone seems to start replacing parts as soon as they get their machine home...

Old 09-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have invested $60 for the jetting changes which is really the only restriction that ties the engineers hands in locking up about 10% more power. The rest of the mods to the engine unless you are a racing contender at a sanctioned event is counter productive in every way especially noise which closes more ride areas every year. But then the LTZ400 is the wrong choice for competition anyway, although an excellent all round recreation quad, why I bought it instead of the TRX450x race quad.

Most people spend twice as much in performance mods on the LTZ when for half as much they can buy the Z450 or TRX450 with more performance the best moded Z400 can offer hands down. So my point is do your self a favor and be realistic about your mods because the bike was engineered from the ground up to be what it was designed for.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

Manual recommendations are often bull-crap. They are generalized and the schedules uniform for the most part. According to my manual I should adjust my valves every 6-mos too, but you know what, they have not been touched and are 100% in specs. Just like the spark plug was not worn, the valves are fine....

</end quote></div>

That's interesting, you actually checked them? Just how often do you ride?

BTW, my 2003 Z400 is still bone stock. But I have changed the air filter, oil, plug and adjusted the valves (along with other various maintenance items). I haven't bothered to upgrade this bike, because I let the kids ride it.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: skramblr

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

</end quote></div>

That's interesting, you actually checked them? Just how often do you ride?

BTW, my 2003 Z400 is still bone stock. But I have changed the air filter, oil, plug and adjusted the valves (along with other various maintenance items). I haven't bothered to upgrade this bike, because I let the kids ride it.</end quote></div>

I ride at least once a week, sometimes more from spring to fall ........

I had them checked twice so far, by a tech who works at a Suzuki/Kawasaki/Polaris dealer and he said they are within specs.....

I was told by a Suzuki engineer that the main reason they suggest every 6-mos is assuming you are running 87 octane. Lower octane can cause a slight pre-ignition which can cause slow valve run-out over time....... I've run nothing but 91-93 octane since it was new and so far it is working. He also said lugging the engine at low RPMs will cause valve run-out and a lot of people will do this in the woods. So to be safe, 6-mos should cover the problem...... I try not to lug mine down at all, especially since I'm a big guy and don't want to put the strain on the engine.....

The guy told me that they suggest the lowest octane possible for the engine to run on because the EPA restricts and taxes the number of high octane vehicles that can be produced since 2002.

I was told by an engine builder that anything over 10:1 compression should use 91 octane. But since most ATVs are there or darn close, every factory would be paying through the nose to suggest 91 octane to prevent valve run-out. So it is easier to suggest 6-mos valve inspections and recommend 87 octane. It works two ways for the factories, it saves them money and it brings traffic into the dealerships.....

You should see how the auto dealers are fighting this 10-15K oil change stuff. If it catches on it will literally kill them....... as it is now, most auto makers say you can go 5K between oil changes, yet try to find a dealership that actually recommends that... They all still say 3K is better .....