Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

challenge

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default challenge

put your king quads in 4-wheel drive on level ground go for a ways turning your wheels back and forth,then start up a steap hill,mine gets real hard to steer,not because it spinning,but just because the grade got steaper,why does the steering get so much harder just because tou go up a hill, you don't have to be climbing a rough hill,just a hill with a pretty good grade,you all try this out,let me know how you alls do. p.s. same way down a hill,2-wheel drive as opposed to 4-wheel drive..........

Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default challenge

Its because your front wheels are pulling faster than the back. Try adding pressure to the back and subtracting pressure from the front and then go up a hill. All the weight goes to the back going up hill and makes the back tires squish down and makes them effectively smaller.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default challenge

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Its because your front wheels are pulling faster than the back. Try adding pressure to the back and subtracting pressure from the front and then go up a hill. All the weight goes to the back going up hill and makes the back tires squish down and makes them effectively smaller.</end quote></div>

i had a 2002 eiger that i put over 8.000 miles on it,it never once felt the way this king quad does,i thank suzuki changed something in the front end, just to save some money,i put big tires on my eiger and it never done that; i bought a eiger first and it done the very same thing,then i traded for the king quad,with hopes that it wouldn't do that,, i'm telling you they done something since 2002..........

Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default challenge

ok, well, the king does have a caster problem (at least the 700 does). That could contribute to the hard steering you have.... If not the tires....

http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid/12/threadid/527517 Start reading about halfway down the page. There are some links on how to fix the problem. This is beginning to smell like a class action suit or a recall.

Either way, the hard steering is because the front wheels are pulling and not being pushed by the back wheels. Since the caster is "backwards" from other quads, the wheels will always try to go straight and you will have a hard time turning. Fix the caster and the hard turning issue will certainly go away.

I have no idea why suzuki did that and maybe it was an attempt to save money by not having to add power steering. At least some of the newer cars have the backwards caster and everything goes fine. They do that in cars so the crosswind doesn't blow you off the road. The car will always steer into the wind. It works on off-camber roads too. The car will steer up the hill towards the center of the road instead of down the hill into the ditch. Also, the car should be easier to turn (when not in 4 wheel drive of course). So, maybe the suzuki engineers figured since the back wheels are locked together, the quad will naturally want to go straight and because of the weight of the beast a backwards caster would help turning. What they didn't count on was all the weight getting thrown on to a single front wheel and the driver not being able to recover from a turn.... with disaterous consequences.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default challenge

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wayout

put your king quads in 4-wheel drive on level ground go for a ways turning your wheels back and forth,then start up a steap hill,mine gets real hard to steer,not because it spinning,but just because the grade got steaper,why does the steering get so much harder just because tou go up a hill, you don't have to be climbing a rough hill,just a hill with a pretty good grade,you all try this out,let me know how you alls do. p.s. same way down a hill,2-wheel drive as opposed to 4-wheel drive..........</end quote></div>

come on guys,try it.........

Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default challenge

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wayout

put your king quads in 4-wheel drive on level ground go for a ways turning your wheels back and forth,then start up a steap hill,mine gets real hard to steer,not because it spinning,but just because the grade got steaper,why does the steering get so much harder just because tou go up a hill, you don't have to be climbing a rough hill,just a hill with a pretty good grade,you all try this out,let me know how you alls do. p.s. same way down a hill,2-wheel drive as opposed to 4-wheel drive..........</end quote></div>
come on guys...

Old 11-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default challenge

i guess from reading differnt post in places that maybe the suz kq 450 isnt the wheeler i should be even considering for my wife w/ all the problems it seems to have. i like the fact of the efi, but not to crazy about you have to change air filters or it will smoke the engines in 2 yrs or less. and this steering problem sounds like a major issue for not strong armed people.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default challenge

Whats this about smokin the engine after 2yrs??? I havent heard that one yet.