Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt80 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 problems

hey guys..im hoping like hell you can help me on this...i bought a suzuki lt80 about a half year ago from a kid and his mom the top end was torn off it..the kid told me when him and his father got it they put it together it ran for a little bit and the piston rings blew and it sat for about 2-3 years after that...well i ended up buying it from him for 100 bucks thinking all it needed was the top end rebuilt..
i found a complete top end rebuilt kit off ebay and sent my core in to the guy to get it redone...i got all the parts to put it together got it back together and after i was done with the rebuilt within two pulls of the rope it fired up i let it run for a minute shut it down left the garage for a bit came back and there was a puddle of gas under the quad..and im pretty sure th whole engine filled up with gas it wouldnt start so i pulled the plug and and pull started it..MY electric starter has been removed by previous owners...and it sprayed gas out the plug whole like old faithful...tryin to make this as short as possible....i got all the gas out of the engine and got it to fire up again...it seems to run and idle fine but when you give it gas it doesnt want to go if you push it itll go and once it gets up to speed it really gets going it hesitates really bad at low rpms im pretty sure the petcock valve and carb have some sort of vaccum system could this be whats making it not move right..or could it be the fact that its still pretty much completly stock besides being bored .30...or could it have something to do with the tranny or drivebelt or sumthing..please help!! ive read alot of these forums but nothins really helping me i know i didnt really describe this to well so ask more about it PLEASE!! i need to figure out whats wrong with it hopefully before christmas so i can get it goin for my lil bro..hes been dyeing to go ridin with me lol

Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default lt80 problems

Welcome to the forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Sounds to me like the carb is where to start. Remove both jets and the float needle seat and clean all well.
Along with that, what position is the petcock in? On is off till there is vaccum (motor turning). Prime runs fuel constant. Turn petcock to ON position and see if fuel drips.
We'll get it going for the bro'. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I seen that deal on ebay. I'm thinking I should do that. Was return shipping on top the advertised price?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 problems

will check the jets out...
as far as the petcock valve goes the actuall lt80 petcock i had was screwed..i got a petcock valve from a old dirtbike i had layin outside it works great BUT is it going to effect it because it doesnt have the vaccum? along with that the lt80 petcock i had idk where the vaccum hose hooks up to the carb at ive put it on the only otherpart on the carb you can hook it to and itll quit running when you hook it up.

yep return shipping is actuall price the old guy obviously knows what hes doing he runs a shop down in tennessee i sent him my core and either he fixed it up or he sent me another one he had...only problem i had with th guy is the fact that he went .30 over when he couldve just bored it .10 or .20..i also sent in a 01 polaris trailblazer topend to him that i know for a fact was a factory bore and he sent it back with a .50 over bore so ya thats the only problem i had with his company( G & H discount atv)..also i forgot to mention after i got the lt80 running and realized it was really sluggish at low ropms i ordered a carb rebuild kit off ebay put it in there and if anything it made the problem worse it seems to run good and its got PLENTY of compression it just wont move from a stop. thanks for the help man..im stumped on this and so far this forums the only thing helping me..so keep the replies comin! ive read all over this site and it seems you u know ur lt80's ill take the carb off tonight or tomorrow and clean up the jets...could it be because my floats sticking? causing to much gas to go in the engine? when you give it gas from a dead stop it doesnt want to move at all and it sprays gas out of the air intake if i was to hook up the breather to the carb and run it it would start to fill the breather system up...sorry for such a long post jus tso much to say..easier said then typed lol!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 problems

also.. theres another hook up it seems like on the top of the carb almost right above the gas inlet but to the left some when i turn the petcock valve to the on pos. it pours gas out of the other hook up on the top..i dont get it

Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default lt80 problems

Sure you don't get it...Stop typing..Clean that carb!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL
"could it be because my floats sticking? causing to much gas to go in the engine? when you give it gas from a dead stop it doesnt want to move at all and it sprays gas out of the air intake if i was to hook up the breather to the carb and run it it would start to fill the breather system up.".... You catch on fast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
-->"Sounds to me like the carb is where to start. Remove both jets AND THE FLOAT NEEDLE SEAT and clean all" <--

Hope ya don't mind my sarcastic humor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The petcock (new one) is fine.
FYI:: 3 holes on the carb::
Closest to motor=Vaccum
Center (brass)=fuel line
Farthest from motor =Carb vent

Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 problems

the humor is fine..but i dont see how cleaning the carb is gonna help when ive already put a rebuild kit in it and cleaned the crap out of it when i did. ive been trouble shooting this thing for a while now and i been thinkin about buying a aftermarket 20mm carb for it from midwestmini.com check out that site and tell me what you think about the upgrades they have. im going out here right now to clean the carb AGAIN...we'll see what happens

Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default lt80 problems

Okey dokey.
The problem is in the float needle and or seat. That's what's letting the fuel by and flooding things out. Check the needle for a wear spot.
""IF"" you do need a carb, another stock carb is recommended. The 20mm's are less than desirable IMO.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 problems

Alright ill check that out and get back with ya

Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 problems

Even being bored .30 over a stock carb would be recommended?
i was thinking that because it is bored over the factory pipe and carb is what was possibly casueing the problem.but thanks for the info..i got the carb off bout to check it out after i post this..if that ISNT the problem what else could be causing it?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 problems

i cleaned up the carb and put it back on...the flooding of the engine problem is solved. BUT it still wont move from a dead stop even with my 70 pound brother on it i have to push him off like its his first time riding a bike or sumthing. Once it gets going it seems pretty fast definitly does more than 15 mph but it just wont move from a stop and once you get going if you turn it boggs down theres no way this thing would go up even the slightest hill...any ideas on that? Thanks for your help man.

Quick Reply: lt80 problems