Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

230 QS owners unite! What is this and why is it broke

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 230 QS owners unite! What is this and why is it broke

Hey all, why i had the camera out trying to fix my quad with all ur help, i figured I'd take a pic of this thing on my quad, and c if I can figure out what it is and why the cable is broke to it. I can't find the other end of the cable where it would connect. It sits on the brake side (my right when sitting on the bike), at the top of the head. Any ideas?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.n...ge.php?e4cc1aadf1.jpg

And why I have you gurus looking at pics, what is this? I assume it's the choke? It's right under the carb on the left side, If it is, what is on and off? Is up off? or vice versa?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.n...ge.php?f4f0062f84.jpg

Thanks All!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Pic 1 is the compression release. Use that to start the quad so its not so hard to kick.

Pic 2 is the choke. Press down to apply it. There is a **** on the other side that switches between half and full choke. You'll notice you can push the choke lever down more after you pull the **** on the other side.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

just wanted to say thanks for the info, any idea the original way the crankcase cable operated? The cable is broken, and whatever operated it was probaly taken off long ago.

And, as i slid the choke lever all the way down there is a word written on it, CHOKE, duh!!!

Thanks Randy!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its a compression release cable. It had a little lever on the left hand side of the handlebars. Look at pic #11 of mine and you'll see it sticking straight up in the air on the left.

You push the lever down and kick. It returns automatically after you kick.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

wow, nice quad! Looks like mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'll have to figure something out for the compression lever.

I had some blue sapphire metallic single stage lying around from a car a painted so I figured free is for me!!!

Anyway, just curious as to how it handles after you extended the a arms?

And, while I have your attention, since your the only one that seems to answer posts around here, my 230 won't stay running at idle, I have to keep giving it alittle gas to keep it running, and if I let me finger off the throttle for a sec or 2, it dies. What is the easiest, or proper way to get a solid idle?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You paint cars much? I thought that paint looked a little better than krylon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

After extended a-arms??? Makes a 2005 250EX seem like a 3-wheeler,,, but less fun. I won't be going back to the shorties! Not only is it wider, but its an inch shorter in the back (plus whatever 20 inch tires make it). I can donut until the cows come home. Turns aren't much of a problem, but I can still bicycle if I'm not careful. Its easier to hit a tree now. Did that once going real slow.... It yanked the bars outta my hands before I knew what happened. Hate to think what it would be like at speed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I'm the only guy that doesn't seem to have a life, lol. No, I think its just that the 230 isn't as popular as the newer quads. Plus, they only made the 230s from 85-88. Not a lot of fans to go around.

Before monkeying with the carb you have to make sure your valves are set right. You should also have a fairly clean filter and have your airbox they way you want it (ie sealed up or lid off or whatever you wanna do). Once everything else is in check, you can move on to the carb. Assuming your jetting is right, its a snap to dial in the idle. Just turn the mixture screw until it dies off a little, then turn it back till it dies off a little... In the middle where the revs are the highest is where you want to be. That should be close anyway. Then set the idle speed screw and you're done. If it doesn't work just that easy for you, something else is wrong (worn needle, clogged jets, or "other"). If you have to turn the mixture screw out till it comes out in your hand, something else is wrong. If you can tighten the screw all the way down and the revs still keep going up, something else is wrong. The screw should be a couple turns out from "seated" ideally. See what you can do and check back in tomorrow n let me know how it went.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

will do, but my stator doesn't come in til friday so I can't play with the idle til saturday mourning or so, but I will definately do that, thanks again!