Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

front disk brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front disk brakes

New member, new atv owner, used 2003 Suzuki Ozark

Previous owner wore pads down to metal, the disc/rotor is smooth on one side and rougher on the other side. I was in the process of putting new pads on but now hesitate to finish job. How long will the pad on the rough side last before it needs to be replaced? I hate to put them in, wear them out quickly, the have to put new rotors in anyway. Can the rotors be repair like the old rotors in cars? Also, one caliper is sticking, and has some wear from the rotor.
This atv will not be riden much, and will be driven in normal conditions.
Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hello. I also own an Ozark and have researched just about everying about them. Personally, I would go an buy a new rotor because it is not good to have one pad wear out faster than the other. This will certainly effect braking and in the long run, it will come down to the same amount of money anyway. If you have to keep buying new pads, that money adds up. And with that money, you could have bought a new rotor and your pads would last longer. Not sure if you understand what I'm saying but I hope you do. Bottom line, I'd buy a new rotor but that's your decision if you want to replace a rotor or not.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
-------------------------------------------
2008 Green Suzuki Ozark
Completely stock but hopefully new tires
in the near future. (Interco Swamp Lites
or GBC Gators)

Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Welcome to the forums bernardo.

It's not the pads wearing out you should worry about. It's the rotor. When it's gone, so are the brakes. Like SuziOzark said, replace the rotor. A lot cheaper to replace that than all the parts that will break when you use an inanimate object to stop.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where is a good place(internet) to get parts? Rotors are around $100 at the local Suzuki store in Raleigh, NC.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

A year ago, I replaced the pads on the front of my Eiger and noted that the rotors were rough. Well, the pads are completely worn down now and this time, I'll be replacing the rotors. The pads I used were EBC severe duty pads, so I expected them to last a bit longer. I firmly believe the bad rotors significantly contributed to the excessive wear of the pads. I quoted Eiger rotors from Prosourceoutlet.com for about $27 per side. I can't imagine the Ozarks are much more than that.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

WOW. I just looked up the price on those rotors and mrcycles.com had them for around $75/side. Those suckers are pricey.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also reccmend that you replace the rotor's at the same time as the pad's , the new pad's will last longer and the brake's will work better ; you will save money in the long run by replacing the rotor's now !

Check ebay you might luckup and find a new pair of rotor's that someone bought for their quad and desided to trade or buy a new quad and still have the rotor's , i found a new pair of backing plate assemblies/complete with new wheel cylinders , shoes and spring's the whole work's already assembled for my old 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 ; and they where less than the cost the Dealer wanted for just the cylinder's and shoe's alone !

But whatever you do i would replace the rotor's before putting the pad's on the quad , like everyone else has stated ; you will come out better replacing them the same time as you replace the pad's !.......