Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 misc. advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 misc. advice wanted

Hey all, new guy here. Looking for some advice on a 2003 LT80 I just bought. The good news is, so far so good. Runs well, minimal problems. Had an issue recently where the petcock dumped the engine full of fuel requiring partial disassembly and drying out (pipe seems awfully heavy - any aftermarket reccomendations or stick with stock?). Drying it out and performed a compression test - 125. Anyhow, here is a short list of my planned upgrades (winter project).

- Rebuild motor - .050 over
- Possibly shave head (how much? .010?)
- Intake mods - bigger carb and K&N, two-stage reeds
- Clutch mods (Looking at CT Racing?)
- Diamond J Customs LT80 to 300EX front end conversion (parts already on hand)
- Rear end widening
- New tires/wheels

This is my kids quad, and they have no designs on racing - I am looking for stability and performance, just to keep them interested. I am sorry if I have thrown too much out there (being a newbie and all), but I am interested in anything you alls have to say or your thoughts and experience. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'll give you my opinion on your list.
Motor- your motor is fine at 125 pounds of compression. You would only need to go .5 (.020) over. There is no speed/power from boring.
Shave head- .030
Intake- get the reeds and forget about wasting money on a DG carb. The stock carb and filter work fine.
Clutch- Very little increase of anything will be achieved with clutch mods on a stock motor. More harm than good will come of it.
You can cut the rear clutch shoes down to 180 grams each. That will give a better launch with no ill effects.
Diamond J- nobody likes the kit after buying. Makes it goofy wide. Ask onebigzj about it.
Rear end wide- You can turn the wheels around fror a wider stance and/or buy/make extentions. You can also turn the front wheels around but you have to turn the valve stem to inside the wheel and drill another cuz the valve will hit.
pipe- the stock pipe works well with the stock motor AND with a fully moded motor. I recommend the Trinity Racing pipe if you need to buy one. They are loud.

Take some time and read over some of the posts on LT80's. You will not make the common money robbing mistakes that newbies make.
example: the carb. I can get a motor to rev to 12k+ with a stock carb. Nothing to be gained with the 20mm IMO.
Have fun in the forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you want Jack Moore (LT80) do build your engine, you have to get in line!!! (He's currently working on my son's motor). I can't wait to get it back and see how it runs.... I mean MY SON can't wait to see how it runs.

Jack, now stay off these forums so you can finish my motor!!! (J/K) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LT80 - thanks for your reply!

As far as the rebuild is concerned, I just figure it's about time, 5 years old and it looked as though the previous owner knew nothing of routine maintenance. I am going to pass on the big carb, but what sre your thoughts/feelings on losing the airbox and changing to a K&N or Uni run in the open?

What method of machining do you use to shave the head? Flycut, mill, surface grinder? Just curious.

Also, (yes i understand there's quite a wait) what kind of motor work do you provide and at what cost (I apologize if it's poor etiquitte to ask this directly in a post).

Kinda stinks about the Diamond J kit - I already have EVERYTHING on hand. DO you think it's a waste even if it's just recreational riding? Should I just cut bait and sell the parts on the bay?

Last but not least, when I pulled the pipe after the "fill-up" with gas, irt seemed awfully heavy. Do these accumulate junk to the point of robbing performance? Possibly time to replace, and I will take your advice and go with stock - I really don't want to torque my neighbors.
Thanks again for everything.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yoor welcome, anytime. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
My thoughts on K&N/open...Not a good idea IMO. The stock stuff works really well.
I use my lathe to shave the head but a mill would be much easier for you/shop.
Motor- I mod the head,cylinder,reed cage,carb,and extensive front and rear clutch mods. Can't say any more. Others may chime in.
300 front end:: ask onebigzj. Seeins he has bought one, he should be able to explain his feelings on it.

Rebuild:: At 125 pounds compression, you have no need to do anything. If bored and after 150 bucks or so, it'll run the same and still have 125 pounds compression.
Your thoughts need to be on clutch maintenence. ie: check the front rollers for flat spots and rear clutch bearings.

Put the pipe in a fire/charcoal and get it red hot and blow compressed air thru it. CAREFUL, it will throw flames!!! That cleans the pipe out well.

Happy to help. Gidday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]