Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Long Travel Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Travel Suspension

Howdy,

I'm looking into getting Burgard +1 +4 long travel a-arms for my 1986 LT250R (yes, they actually support the 85-86 model years!!!) But, I have to figure out what I'm going to do for the shocks. The rear is already upgraded to a Hygear and its AMAZING, but the fronts are still stock. So, what should I consider? Elka, Ohlins, Works, Hygear? None of them show support for my quad but I'm sure if I called them they could get me set up with something that will work for the geometry, weight, and riding style (agressive woods riding and mx).

Also, while I'm at it, I guess I'll ask what you guys think about steering stabilizers. I've always been somewhat opposed to them, but I get ALOT of vibration and feedback thru my bars, so I'm starting to really consider getting one.

And another thing - I've already got Holeshot GNCC's in the back on Douglas .190's and they are just insanity - perfect in every aspect. And I should be getting the same setup for the front soon. Think that will leave me with a good combo?

Sorry for such a long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Austin

Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A +4 is too wide for xc.. That'll put you at 50 inches or so.
The +2's would be a better choice IMO. I have +2's and can still fly thru the woods.
Long travel arms require long travel shocks. PEP shocks are the ultimate. Ohlins are good also. Alot run Elka, I won't.
How about a regular travel arms and GT Thunder stock shock re-build. I hear his rebuilds compare to race shocks and cheaper.

Opposed to a steering stabilizer?????? It's the best thing you will buy.
The Denton style is a good one. Precision if you have money. <G> I have a PEP but unsure if he still makes them.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got Works steelers on the front of my stock '90 and they ride okay. I don't care for the complete lack of damping adjustments and it is a total PITA to adjust the pre-load but they are better than stock. For the price I paid (used off eBay) they are okay but I wish I would have paid less. I wouldn't buy them for retail.